Rockford Fosgate Punch 200.4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Punch 200.4 board number PC-3084-A

I am having troubles tracking down some distortion.

I recieved the amp and the power supply was toast and one channel had a shorted output fet. It used the BUZ 272 and BUZ 21 outputs.

I switched them out for IRF540 and IRF9540.

The DC on the bridging terminal went away and the amp powers up fine and idles fine and does not draw current. The 3 and 4 series channels were the ones repaired. The 4 series channel has the problem.

The 3 series channel will bias and puts out clean audio, but the 4 series channel will not bias and it is badly distorted.

Any ideas where to look?

Last edited:
The first photo is of the 4 series problem channel, and the second photo is what all the other channels look like.

Attachments

• Punch 200.4 001.jpg
    Punch 200.4 001.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Punch 200.4 002.jpg
    Punch 200.4 002.jpg
    973.9 KB · Views: 166
When trying to test the voltage across R452 the amp drew massive pulsing current with the bias fully clockwise.

This tells me there is a connection issue with that resistor to the board.

Upon removing it I found a broken traces, actually a few broken traces.

The trace from the source leg of Q411 which then goes to R448 from there connects to R452. The trace is broken in between R448 and R452.

I also found a broken trace that leads to R432 either from R430 or R461, not sure without removing them as I do not have a schematic.

This could be obviously causing the problem?

I repaired the traces and the channel bias works fine and it produces clean audio.

Surprisingly the 3 series channel is now doing the same thing as the 4 series channel was. I dont know what changed, but it wont bias and it has distorted output. I have checked everything up to the point where you asked me to turn the bias fully clockwise and check the voltage across R452, R430, R431, and R439.

Should I do this for the 3 series channel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.