Orion 2350gx right channel not developing full power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Back Again. The amp in question was repaired in another thread. I thought it was working fine but it is lacking power.(http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/196658-old-school-orion-2350gx-anyone-have-tech-info.html)
The amp is still running and sounds great, but I have noticed that the right channel(the repaired one) is not producing full power. I have switched the RCA's to verify that one channel wasn't getting a stronger signal but that wasn't it. So I switched the subs to see if that may have had something to do with it, but still the same result. After running the amp at about 1/3 power for 5-10min the left half is noticably warmer to the touch than the right channel. Right channel seems to have about 1/2 to 2/3 the power that the left channel is producing. since this amp is actually two 2 channel amps bridged, I'm starting to think only one of the 2 channels is working on the right channel.

I checked the gain pots again and both channels are getting 1v input.
any idea's anyone_?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 77
Drive a sine wave (50-100Hz) into the amp and measure the AC voltage on each of the 4 speaker wires where they come out of the board. List the voltage on all 4 with the corresponding wire color. Place the black probe on the RCA shields, the secondary center tap or on the small black wire when measuring the voltage.

Its looking like I might have had a bad rca cable. I will get new quality RCA's and post results.
Using the sm. Blk wire as ground I got 18.5vac on all four output wires using 1v input and 100hz test tone. (Orange, Black/orange, Yellow, Black/yellow)

What is the max AC voltage voltage I should see at full power with gains wide open?_
I read somewhere that it should be around 36v at max output but that may have been bad info.

Ok, I rewired everything in the trunk.(pwr/grd wires,loc,eqx, and big3 with 1/0 welders cable) I disconnected the rear speakers and ran the wires directly to my AudioControl EQX, eliminating the LOC. I'm not sure why I had the LOC in there to begin with, but it sure made a difference in clairity. Also by disconnecting the rear speakers the fronts have gotten noticably louder.(due to less of a load on the RCU, I guess?) I did have a bad RCA that had been causing problems with the right ch. output. I will have to do some testing, but it seems to sound good on both channels now. Thanks Perry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.