Weird idea to increase SPL in your cab. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2011, 02:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Weird idea to increase SPL in your cab.

So I'm thinking of probably a dumb idea, but I don't know if it would affect anything...

I have an old car, 95' buick skylark custom. *4 door*. I'm thinking about removing the 6x9s and pointing the ports through the hole of the 6x9 cutout to see if it'd increase anything...because I don't even use my 6x9s and my front speakers are 2 4x6 infinity midrange speakers...so It's already pretty loud for voice.
The ports are slotted, not the tubes.
Would this increase anything or no?
1995 Buick Skylark Custom: Hifonics HIF2000D amp Big 3 Upgrade 1/0 gauge wire 3 10" ALUM10N Audiobahns XS Power XP2000 battery Sony CDX-GT43IPW head unit 12k Kensun headlights L.E.D back Kensun lights Street Glow blue neon light interior
Old 26th October 2011, 03:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I had a similar set up to this in a vintage Mustang. Two rear facing 10's in a box that was elevated to just below the rear deck. The tube ports went through the back deck into the box......the box essentially ported into the cars cabin. It was a catch 22......a few things it did better, a few things it did worse. I can't say as I gained any SPL......I think the box being in the trunk helps create SPL in fact. It did sound different but I could never decide if I liked it better or not. I know this doesn't help......guess what I'm saying is give it a shot but make sure you can undo it if you don't like it.

Hide this!Advertise here!