which crossover (and tweeter) should i use with my set up? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2011, 05:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default which crossover (and tweeter) should i use with my set up?

long time reader of this site, here goes my first post!

Here is my current set up.

car: 93 honda accord ex wagon
head unit: KenWood KDC-BT645U
front speakers: Alpine SPS-610C
rear speakers: Polk Audio DXI400
speaker amp: Polk PA660
subwoofer amp: Kicker ZX 400.1
subwoofer: Polk DXi 112 (with factory built box @ 2ohms)

ok, so i want to set up a crossover with the front speakers since the alpine's i got just have a capacitor from the woofer to the tweeter i figured using a crossover might improve the sound.
I currently have two different crossover's to choose from to use. One is from the Polk DXi 6500 set up, and the other from the West Coast Custom's 6-1/2" set.

I plan on using the alpine woofer and tweeter as i am fairly happy with their sound thus far. I do have the tweeters that came with the Polk DXi 6500 set up which i might try out since i noticed they are a little big larger but i don't know if they would mix well with the alpine woofer (the only woofer i have).

my question is, which crossover and tweeter would you go with (if you had to obviously haha) with the alpine type S woofer?

other variants i could add to my system i have:
Alpine mrp-f300 (4 channel speaker amp)
Infinity ref3032CF (3 1/2" speakers for rear)
Kenwood kfc-1062S (4" speakers for rear)
Pioneer TS-G1043R (4" speakers for rear)

I know most of you dont think highly of the cheaper amps and components im using, but this is my first venture into car audio so im taking it slow. Plus i got all of this stuff for either free or super cheap!

What would you say out of all the parts i have variables in would make the best system and why?
Old 19th October 2011, 09:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Passive crossovers are typically designed based on the frequency response of the speakers in mind. Using them with speakers other than those for which they were designed may or may not work well. The tweeter crossover is more critical because one tweeter may be able to handle more power and lower frequencies than another and using it with the wrong tweeters could cause the tweeters to fail.

You must also be careful not to have an open output on any 12dB/octave crossover. If the crossover has 12dB/octave circuits (for the woofer and tweeter) and you leave one of them open (no speaker connected), the amp will see a short circuit at the crossover frequency (unless the crossover has protection for that, which is rare).

I'd suggest that, unless you can come up with a specific aspect of the sound that you are dissatisfied with, that you not make any changes. Making random changes when you don't have a specific complaint won't likely be productive.

Hide this!Advertise here!