Anybody replace the IC on an Alpine head unit before?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got an Alpine CDA-9830 that went up in smoke several years back while in the wife's car.

Took it apart last night to take a look and the IC has some obvious char marks on the long bent pins 5 & 6 (from left to right) where they meet the board.

The IC is a Toshiba TA8273H. Did a Google search and looks like MCM has it for $12. It's a pretty small space so just wondering what I'm up against and how difficult this might be. There is a vertically mounted metal rectangle device soldered in two places to the case that I'd have to desolder to get the board out to make replacing the IC easier.

Many times, it's easier to remove the IC if you cut along the body of the IC with a razor knife to cut all of the legs free, then remove the legs one by one. Heat the solder connection on the leg while pulling on it gently. After removing all legs, desolder the through-holes.

On most head units, the IC is sandwiched between a metal plate and the heatsink. After removing the board from the shell, the heatsink is removed leaving something similar to what you see in the attached image.

Attachments

• IMG_1612b.jpg
    IMG_1612b.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 64
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.