Faulty Soundstream Rubicon 204

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I sold a Rubicon 204 to a person a while ago.
Apparently, he's having problems with it.
When playing music, the amplifier shuts off when the gains are raised up to a certain level. The amp is not a very powerful one, but the decibel level at which the problem arises is way too low, even for a smaller amp like this one.

Also, this only happens on channels 3+4. When hooking up the speakers to 1+2, the problem is not there.

I sold him a 604 at a very good price so he's happy now, but I am curious what could be the problem with that 204. He lives in an other country so I cannot perform any measurements on the board, but if anyone happens to have a clue what could cause this I'd be interested to know. I might have him ship the amp to me in the future so I can have a look at it and hopefully fix it and ship it back to him.

Resolder the FEB boards they go intermittent due to bad solder joints where the vertical riser driver boards are soldered to the main board...

Also check the circuit breakers for both of those channels they are thermal type breakers and once they are stressed too far they trip out at much lower power levels. Jaime at JandRelectronics on flea-bay has replacements you can buy for reasonable....Also check the slide switches on the amp board they get loose and dirty with age. replacement solves the issue.

hope this helps some these are very common issues....C:)

1moreamp, we always refresh the solderings on the driver PCB's on each and every Soundstream, the little vertical boards. Are you referring to those when you say FEB boards ? Yes, I have dozens of replacement switches for these amps. I know Jaime very well.
I have no experience with those thermal breakers, will have a closer look.

Perry, that's some simple but very smart advice. I'll ask the guy to perform this test !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.