Molex to ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, i have a basic audio system in my car consisting, of front and back speakers + amp + 2 subs + head unit..

i bought myself a set of Cold Cathode Lights, to wire in to this system so that when the subs play a "Doof" noise, the lights flash.
i have seen this before on a friends home entertainment system in his room.

but to complete this task, i need a molex to something?
is there a way to connect the molex to the subwoofer cables?
The molex connector is a: Molex 8981 Series Power Connector
both male and female.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
is a basic diagram for my system....
any help is appreciated.. thankyou.

I'm not sure that's what is wanted here. Have a search on the web for reactive lighting and you'll find loads of videos and tutorials explaining how it's done. I've looked at a couple of the videos is very basic with no electronics at all. You basically connect your LEDs or cold cathode invertor directly to the sub and that's it!! Personally I wouldn't but that's me. :)

If I understand the OP correctly, he needs a Molex connector but isn't sure what it is. If that's the case, the answer is it's a common connector that if he has an electronics supplier in his city will have in stock at a modest cost (not necessarily Radio Shack, but if not then basically just about any other one). An auto parts store might have them (at a stunningly high markup, but still only a few dollars). Or online, although the minimum order conditions might make it semi-costly.

From the look of his diagram, I would guess the Molex needs to sit between the Head Amp and the Amp. If that's the case, it looks like he needs to construct a splitter out of a couple of Molex connectors.

Or, (as someone already suggested), he can just cut the Molex and hard wire it. It's what most of us would do for our own system if we were to think this was a good idea in the first place, but probably not for a customer's system who wanted the pretty lights ... for the customer we'd buy the Molex for a neat, and later defeatable install.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.