Sub box question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright, good news..found out my my one sub wasn't blown...just the screws that was hold the "template (flex protector...or whatever you call it)" was coming loose.

But now I've always been an enclosed box person...but I keep hearing all these subs with ported...and they rattle everything...so I looked it up in my sub manual and it gave me directions for SPL ported box.

The statics for the box is to have a total of 2.5 cubic volume...after the displacement of the sub it will have 2.35...now my question is...is it per box....or just the whole box itself...because I'm making my own ported box.. and have the vent to be one of those wide long vents that cut through the middle....seems easier than measuring the diameter...and stuff. But this manual suggests that I have a port size of 4 x 7.25 ( What that means...I have no clue...=( ) Please leave some feedback. because if this is the truth...it means I'm going to have to make this huge box...which I will barely be able to fit in my trunk..

REAL Trunk space available: 34 width, 15High 30depth
Box space: 33Width 13.5High 26Depth *using 1in MDF* Portal space is a ???

Volume of the whole box without a separator is 4.95139, but I do want to put a separating board in the middle which will make each box 2.475695. Which is close to perfect.

Last edited:
You don't have to get the dimensions exact. ±10% is close enough.

The port is a 4" diameter round port 7.25" long.

The SPL enclosure may not be a great choice. It's probably not going to sound very good. It's optimized for competition, not sound quality. SPL enclosures are designed to focus the greatest output at a particular frequency. At that frequency, the subwoofer system will produce a strong output. At most other frequencies, the output will be significantly less.

There's no magic enclosure. At one end of the spectrum, you can have an enclosure that will provide a relatively consistent output over a wide range of frequencies. Those will tend to sound the best. At the other end of the spectrum, you will have a strong output for a very narrow range of frequencies while other frequencies will be produced at a significantly lower level.

You don't have to get the dimensions exact. ±10% is close enough.

The port is a 4" diameter round port 7.25" long.

The SPL enclosure may not be a great choice. It's probably not going to sound very good. It's optimized for competition, not sound quality. SPL enclosures are designed to focus the greatest output at a particular frequency. At that frequency, the subwoofer system will produce a strong output. At most other frequencies, the output will be significantly less.

There's no magic enclosure. At one end of the spectrum, you can have an enclosure that will provide a relatively consistent output over a wide range of frequencies. Those will tend to sound the best. At the other end of the spectrum, you will have a strong output for a very narrow range of frequencies while other frequencies will be produced at a significantly lower level.

How does this box look.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unless someone has experience with a specific enclosure with specific dimensions with a particular woofer, it would be difficult to predict what the results would be. Add to the equation the acoustics of the vehicle and your listening preferences and you can see that it's almost impossible to advise you on this. I'd suggest building an enclosure that the manufacturer of the woofer recommends.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.