Need help identifying resistors on Soundstream Reference 500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Keep in mind the schematics for Ref 500 and Ref 500 s /sx are different, so make sure you get the right one. Also, while repairing this amp, replace the FED16CT rectifiers. They are hard to find for original Refs, but Jaime sells them. They fail after a while, best to change them now.

Some of the damage I see on the pics is the same as on Ref 500 / Class A 6.0 boards I have seen. Most of the time this type of damage is caused by running the amp in high power mode while it should have been in high current mode. I'm not saying this is the case on this amp, but it is a known cause for this type of damage.

Good luck with repairs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You just need to know the ohms on the resistor? I may be able to test mine.

On a separate issue, my Reference 500sx works, but not right. I am unable to adjust the gain when in mono mode. Mixed mono i can adjust, but not mono. The guy I took it to wants to replace the two small boards next to r29 and r92 as well as the mono switch. I've got a pic of said "boards" but think I need photobucket or something to upload it to this site.
http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z424/diesel212/?action=view&current=noflash.jpg

1. Does this sound right?
2. Where can I get parts from?

Last edited:
This amplifier has driver boards and control boards.
These, as well as the switches, can be ordered from jandrelectronix@aol.com
I'm not sure whether replacing these boards will fix your issue.
You should start with looking at the quality of the solderings, especially the solder joints of these perpendicular boards. You might also want to spray some contact cleaner spray in the switches and work them back and forth many times.

You might end up spending quite a lot of money (these perpendicular boards don't come cheap) on parts that might not solve your issue. Maybe someone can help you find out the source of the problem, before ordering parts. But maybe the guy is hitting the mark by pointing out these parts, I'm just saying these are not cheap so better be pretty certain you need them.

Can't you find the value of the resistor on the schematics, by the way ?

When driver boards go out, you will get a very high idle current if not dead short. Some cases major distortion. These are hard to find. Very robust and usually go out when the darlingtons blow out. Or a voltage regulator overdrives them. Pull the boards and outputs. Turn on amp and check for +and - voltages on both sides and make sure there the same. For both boards. No differential voltage should be there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.