JL 13W6 Alternative - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2011, 01:52 AM   #1
Luca B is offline Luca B  United States
diyAudio Member

Default JL 13W6 Alternative

I've recently returned to the car audio scene and am seeking some advice.

A few months back I decided to install and modest 2 way active front stage in my E55. I have been listening and feel the need to add a sub to reinforce the low end. In the past I have owned a few different subs, but most of the companies I've dealt with are no longer in business. One of the drivers that has come to mind is the W6. I've owned one before and love the sound. I can find one within my budget and I could easily fit an enclosure for the 12" or 13.5". However, I would love to hear any other recommendations that you think would fit the bill. I'm looking for something similar to the W6. If Adire were still around I'd be looking into a Brahma.

I'm looking for an excellent sound quality driver. Is the W6 still one of the best low distortion high excursion drivers around or have things changed while I've been away?
Old 6th October 2011, 07:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

No suggestions?
Old 12th October 2011, 05:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

lol, not many takers here!

Try two cheaper subs isobarically mounted and you'll be surprised by the results: lower distortion, smaller box volume, better extension.

For something different Alpine's new Type R 8" are getting rave reviews and work out of tiny boxes-remove the glovebox and fit one up-front

Otherwise go for something IB in the shelf if you're looking for SQ and a challenge installing.
Old 25th December 2011, 05:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I wish I could install an IB setup, but would rather avoid the modifications necessary. I was planning on just going sealed. I have my mids crossed down to 40Hz and just need something to handle the bottom end. So, I don't need gobs of output just something to handle that bottom end. Something like a Soundsplinter Rl-i would fit the bill nicely, but sadly it seems as though they've had to shut their doors. This isn't a car audio forum, I realize this, but was hoping someone who appreciated sound quality could help me out.
Old 25th December 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
m4ick is offline m4ick  United States
diyAudio Member

Kicker L5? Kickers have always seemed to have good low extension in sealed boxes.

Me personally, I'd cross the mids at 80Hz after installing a sub. Then you can crank them a bit more.

Isobaric doesn't affect low extension and actually increases distortion in cone to cone or magnet to magnet mounting because their behavior becomes non-symmetrical. It also requires twice the subs and twice the power output in a half volume box what one sub would do in a full size box. With the addition of the isobaric chamber the box volume is actually never half and is almost never useful unless you have two sentimental subs you want to put into a small space.
Old 25th December 2011, 04:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you have the money to spend, though, it may be useful to achieve low bass in a tiny trunk.
Old 25th December 2011, 09:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I may increase the xo slightly, but in general I find it beneficial to keep as much sound up front as possible . Any thoughts on a TC Sounds Epic 10? I've modeled it along with a Dayton Titanic and am liking the responses out of both of them. Prices are inline with each other too. The TC might be the ticket as it's strikingly similar to the RL-i line.
Old 16th January 2012, 03:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The TC stuff gets good reviews and they OEM loads for other manufactures, the Dayton stuff consistantly gets good press-check diyma for more info on either.

RE the isobaric-extension is increased if box volume is maintained from a single sub arrangement, there are quite a few people who'd disagree about the lack of reduced distortion M4ick talks of. I'd agree that mag/mag or cone/mag mounting won't reduce box volume loads, but can still see a chunk taken off it.

Last edited by TheBaronGroog; 16th January 2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 16th January 2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Dr Zeus is offline Dr Zeus  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out the Polk Audio MM line of subs. In 10" and larger, they have 1" Max excursion one-way and are designed for quality over quantity. You should be able to get two Polk Audios for the cost of a single W6. W7 is JL's top line these years but in a 12" you are looking at about $350-$450. I think the Polks can be had for ~$120 each.

Then again, the JL 13" w6 is a flat piston woofer. Try Pioneer iBFlats also.

Last edited by Dr Zeus; 16th January 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 16th January 2012, 04:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Isobaric distortion:
Isobaric speakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hide this!Advertise here!