Increasing the bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2011, 07:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Increasing the bass

To increase the bass dynamics out of a sub box...what would I do...stuff cotton in it or just line the wall with cotton? This box is an enclosed box.

Another question is if I have an enclosed box, would I want to drill a port hole in the center board for more air space for the subs to breathe?
1995 Buick Skylark Custom: Hifonics HIF2000D amp Big 3 Upgrade 1/0 gauge wire 3 10" ALUM10N Audiobahns XS Power XP2000 battery Sony CDX-GT43IPW head unit 12k Kensun headlights L.E.D back Kensun lights Street Glow blue neon light interior
Old 3rd October 2011, 07:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Cutting a hole between chambers won't make an audible difference.

Forget about the damping material.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are you sure...because I'm told by a lot of people that putting damping material in the box makes it more efficient.

But I'll take your advice and do it without cotton and do one w cotton see which sounds better
1995 Buick Skylark Custom: Hifonics HIF2000D amp Big 3 Upgrade 1/0 gauge wire 3 10" ALUM10N Audiobahns XS Power XP2000 battery Sony CDX-GT43IPW head unit 12k Kensun headlights L.E.D back Kensun lights Street Glow blue neon light interior

Last edited by carshateme; 3rd October 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ask those people to be VERY specific about the increase in efficiency. I'm sure that they wont' be able to give any supporting data from tightly controlled tests. That's the problem with most online discussions/arguments. There are too few specifics. The following is a graph generated by LEAP. The fill is 1lb of polyfil/ft^3. You can see that there is little difference.
Attached Images
File Type: gif spbxplf2.gif (15.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
Ask those people to be VERY specific about the increase in efficiency. I'm sure that they wont' be able to give any supporting data from tightly controlled tests. That's the problem with most online discussions/arguments. There are too few specifics. The following is a graph generated by LEAP. The fill is 1lb of polyfil/ft^3. You can see that there is little difference.

actually Those people that told me are my real life friends and people I know...but some of them I think are just bullshitters...especially one.. But that graph...have no idea what it means...I'm not that into audio...yet. Though I'm going for audio engineering soon. (college that is)

But you got me convinced...I'll do em without cotton.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The graph shows that there is essentially no difference. It would not be audible.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

AH okay. Thanks...I just want my system at 100dB.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Stuffing damping material in a sealed enclosure will only make the internal volume of the box slightly smaller. You will not hear any difference.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Okay, how do I calculate my volume of my box after my subs are put in the equation?
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Contact the manufacturer or the owner's manual for the displacement volume of the woofers. Subtract that from the total volume.

Hide this!Advertise here!