Increasing the bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To increase the bass dynamics out of a sub box...what would I do...stuff cotton in it or just line the wall with cotton? This box is an enclosed box.

Another question is if I have an enclosed box, would I want to drill a port hole in the center board for more air space for the subs to breathe?

Ask those people to be VERY specific about the increase in efficiency. I'm sure that they wont' be able to give any supporting data from tightly controlled tests. That's the problem with most online discussions/arguments. There are too few specifics. The following is a graph generated by LEAP. The fill is 1lb of polyfil/ft^3. You can see that there is little difference.

Attachments

• spbxplf2.gif
    spbxplf2.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 85
Ask those people to be VERY specific about the increase in efficiency. I'm sure that they wont' be able to give any supporting data from tightly controlled tests. That's the problem with most online discussions/arguments. There are too few specifics. The following is a graph generated by LEAP. The fill is 1lb of polyfil/ft^3. You can see that there is little difference.

actually Those people that told me are my real life friends and people I know...but some of them I think are just bullshitters...especially one.. But that graph...have no idea what it means...I'm not that into audio...yet. Though I'm going for audio engineering soon. (college that is)

But you got me convinced...I'll do em without cotton.

If it's a car audio sub I doubt they would list it. Car audio parts are made primarily to look good but the sound is most often horrible to say the least. Car audio specifications on speakers and amplifiers are more often than not pure fiction.

No no... I was talking about how much the SUB will take up..because my sub's magnets are huge.... I was talking about the space it takes up and how much it'll decrease the overall volume of the box

If it's a car audio sub I doubt they would list it. Car audio parts are made primarily to look good but the sound is most often horrible to say the least. Car audio specifications on speakers and amplifiers are more often than not pure fiction.
lolz...... your statement is largely pure fiction.......well, more allong the lines of speculation. really, we do use real measurements, and scoff only when they are not available, though, the parameters are found eventually, if there is a decent peice worth testing, that has not already been done. many, are independently double-checked, as well....... what is the sub? now, the point of a port/vent is to tune the waves, so simply drilling a hole, will do more bad, than good. put in a real simple way= immagine the sound wave moving like water. now, you drop something in it at one point(creating a positive wave) and it will travel at a certain speed, not istantaneous, though it may seem. well, your speaker has 2 "loading" sides of effect. so, you want the greatest differential (over a the widest range for good sound) and each side of the speaker is doing the opposite thing at any time it is moving. so, if you have a simple hole, then it takes no time at all for the wave from the rear of the speaker to reach the fromt, and cancel it out. at lower frequencies (the ones that sound real good and make you feel good at real high volumes) the time between pulses being completed in both directions is real long. if the wave gets there real quick, then it will cancell it out. at higher frequencies (the kind that are just annoying and hurt your brain) then the wave is repeating so fast that the cancellation cannot occour, and get real loud and effective there...and you will not enjoy it at all. so, when tuning, you calculate the wave, and the distance/time, and the pressures/volumes, and many other things to get your final tune, but once you know how to do that, which takes much more than you think, then the end result will give you something real nice. best is to have someone experienced do it for you...and they would even take into concideration your vehicle's properties and effect on the "box" in short, calculating the holes for proper length and size can be good, but simply cutting the holes is bad. as for poly-fill...well, it is an inflated wives-tale that it will make the box larger and more efficient. what it does, is dampen waves inside the box, and can sound better to the trained ear, but will not really give you more volume. i use it, if i have it on hand, and it fits the application, but it is not what you are looking for. just what is your system comprised of? you say you want 100db... that shouldn't be too hard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.