Recommendations on the BIG 3 upgrade - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2011, 06:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Recommendations on the BIG 3 upgrade

Bought a 220 amp alternator for my 95 buick. Now I need the wiring...

Where can I get a good wire...not too expensive but...a good 0/1 gauge.

(I'm a fan of knukonceptz) But this one guy was selling kits for $25...but I cannot get ahold of him...so does anyone know where I can buy a good kit at...my budget is $100.
1995 Buick Skylark Custom: Hifonics HIF2000D amp Big 3 Upgrade 1/0 gauge wire 3 10" ALUM10N Audiobahns XS Power XP2000 battery Sony CDX-GT43IPW head unit 12k Kensun headlights L.E.D back Kensun lights Street Glow blue neon light interior
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You don't need wire that large. 4 would likely be good enough. 2g would be overkill.

When you install the new wiring, you should insert a fuse between the alternator and the battery. This will help protect the vehicle if the alternator fails-shorted or the wire gets shorted to the case of the alternator. Many vehicles have either a fuse or a fusible link for safety. Most people don't include any sort of protection when they upgrade these wires.

If you use 4g, use a 150 amp fuse (it isn't likely to blow). If you use 2g, use nothing larger than a 200 amp fuse.

You can buy neoprene insulated welding cable for relatively cheap if you don't need the fancy stuff.
Old 3rd October 2011, 07:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Okay thanks
1995 Buick Skylark Custom: Hifonics HIF2000D amp Big 3 Upgrade 1/0 gauge wire 3 10" ALUM10N Audiobahns XS Power XP2000 battery Sony CDX-GT43IPW head unit 12k Kensun headlights L.E.D back Kensun lights Street Glow blue neon light interior
Old 4th October 2011, 03:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I found some welding wire...but it's just isolated.. https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...AND:304-1270UF (Gonna get 8 ft... gonna go for the 0 gauge (Ultra flex Orange).. I know you said not to..but...I'd rather be safe than sorry.. Good choice?

Last edited by carshateme; 4th October 2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:12 AM   #5
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

If the alternator produces 220 amps you may want to run a 200 or 250 amp fuse between it and the battery. The 150 may hold up most of the time but I'm not sure it won't melt when pushing the system to its limits. Depending on the distance from the battery, 4 gauge could be ok but it doesn't hurt to use thicker wire if you have room. The thinner the wire, the more likely its resistance will rise when pushed and you don't want any resistance added when trying to keep good current and voltage flow. A thinner cable can get warm at its limits, acting as a resistor and the hotter it gets the higher its resistance becomes.
Old 23rd October 2011, 05:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppia600 View Post
If the alternator produces 220 amps you may want to run a 200 or 250 amp fuse between it and the battery. The 150 may hold up most of the time but I'm not sure it won't melt when pushing the system to its limits. Depending on the distance from the battery, 4 gauge could be ok but it doesn't hurt to use thicker wire if you have room. The thinner the wire, the more likely its resistance will rise when pushed and you don't want any resistance added when trying to keep good current and voltage flow. A thinner cable can get warm at its limits, acting as a resistor and the hotter it gets the higher its resistance becomes.
^^x2 run the 0 or 1 for the big 3 and if I were you I would consider thinking about a second battery near the amp in the future, if you have not already. I know they sell those big farad caps, but avoid them if at all possible. If you are runnin the Brutus series, it should accept up to 0 guage +/- wires and rated for 200 A fusing. Fuse it as close to the front battery as possible to avoid burning your car to the ground in the event of a short somewhere (seen it happen once).
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

AH I did it done a while ago. Couldn't use the 0 gauge to the alternator. Because my wiring goes from the battery to the starter to the alternator...so I had to use 4 gauge from the starter to the alternator... 0 gauge was too thick for it...go in the way. =(
Old 25th October 2011, 06:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Always use 1/0 gauge wire, and use oxygen free copper(ofc) for best conductivity, fuse at both ends of the positive wire with a 300amp fuse, short story: I have two runs of 2/0 welfare wire and my starter battery is located in the trunk, some way one of the runs got pinched by a bolt and my car shut off, lucky I had fused at both ends and both fuses pooped, my car could have got up on fire.
Now make sure you ground to the engine block and a solid connection to the chasis of the car this will insure your battery discharges and recharges properly, I've seen battery's that didn't have the engine ground and the wire melt the shield because the wire got so hot and others were the batteries will swell up and some blow up.

Hide this!Advertise here!