Building a custom box...need suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2011, 04:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building a custom box...need suggestions

Okay I'm Building a box from scratch.. went to home depot and bought 3/4 MDF sheet. Got it cut to where I wanted it..cept I measured a piece wrong...which threw off my volume of the box.

The box measure specs 27 x 13 x 11.25

The depth was suppose to be 8.5...but my dumb idiot butt measured it wrong so...now my volume is about 1.65462 now what I am confused of is do I divide it by two...so each box will be getting .82731 volume...there will be a split between.. Now if that is the cast of the volume being .82731.. I won't have a problem. my subs have a volume space of .5 - 1.25 although I wanted my sub space to be 1...but that isn't going to happen..because all my wood is already cut.
Old 2nd October 2011, 04:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Run both subs in the same airspace.
You're forgetting, the mass of the sub itself is taking up air inside the cube, so you can deal with a bit of that loss due to the size of the unpopulated enclosure.
They're subs, the signal is mono.. unless you're going to run the subs stereo??
Old 2nd October 2011, 04:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

They're just woofers. so..they're pretty huge...I didn't calculate that part =((( dammit.. now I gotta add some slots in my box..
Old 2nd October 2011, 04:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

well, the good thing is, you'll never make that mistake again.
Old 2nd October 2011, 05:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thinking about adding the end piece and maybe putting a splitter in the middle

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd October 2011, 02:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Okay I changed up my whole box. The current volume is 2.29102, Approx. 1.14551 per box. But my main question is...Is there a way to vacuum out the air in the box...like they do in fiber boxes...where they get the PSI to a -40 or something for deeper bass...because I do not want to do it the poor mans way and put cotton in it. Mind you this is MDF wood..so adding a valve...might be difficult.

Box dynamics: 27W x 13H x 15D. Custom front paneling 9.5 inch circles.
Old 3rd October 2011, 02:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Speaker drivers only work as intended at equal air pressure. If you somehow manage to introduce sustained lower air pressure on one side it will bottom out the speaker, so basically it can't play anything. It's similar to adding massive amounts of DC on the terminals. Permanently.
Old 3rd October 2011, 02:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Lame...because of a friend of mine had 4 rockfords and did it to his fiber box and boy...did they pound...reached 195dBs
1995 Buick Skylark Custom: Hifonics HIF2000D amp Big 3 Upgrade 1/0 gauge wire 3 10" ALUM10N Audiobahns XS Power XP2000 battery Sony CDX-GT43IPW head unit 12k Kensun headlights L.E.D back Kensun lights Street Glow blue neon light interior
Old 3rd October 2011, 03:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think you misunderstood or were misled by your friend.
Old 3rd October 2011, 04:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Dude, you always trying to downsize me... I know what he did, I watched him do it.. I watched the dB meter. DON'T TELL ME what I saw and what I didn't...
1995 Buick Skylark Custom: Hifonics HIF2000D amp Big 3 Upgrade 1/0 gauge wire 3 10" ALUM10N Audiobahns XS Power XP2000 battery Sony CDX-GT43IPW head unit 12k Kensun headlights L.E.D back Kensun lights Street Glow blue neon light interior

Hide this!Advertise here!