Where to put the fuse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay...sure ya'll are sick of me asking questions but I'd rather do my setup right rather than do it wrong.

Bought a KnuKonceptz 0/1 gauge with a 250A fuse; a 3.5 soundquest farad capacitor aka lightning cap, and a Hifonics HIF2000d 2000 watt rms amplifier. (Amp is so beasty...about 1.7ft long...)

Well question: Need to know rather to put the fuse by the battery (my last fuse was mounted under the hood next to the battery on the frame.) or mount it in my trunk...I was told that where I had my last fuse mounted was a bad idea, so I'm asking you guys.

Sub settings: 2 audiobahn ALUM10N 3200 watt/ 1600 rms max

and yes. I plan on making myself deaf..*trust me I'll have like 6 pairs of earplugs in. =P*

Thank you. =] But if that was the case...It would fry my lightning cap and possibly my amplifier.... my system costs more than my car.

Here's a case:

Can I put more than one fuse on a power line...one at the battery terminal...one for the cap and one for the wire b/w the cap and the amp?

Last edited:
It shouldn't damage anything. The amp will just suddenly not have any power,no big deal. The cap might dump all of it's charge into the shorted wire,but it shouldn't damage the cap..that's better than having the car battery dumping all of it's charge into the shorted wire!
(Ever short out a car battery? It can get REALLY ugly REALLY quickly. Fire,explosions,boiling acid flying everywhere,etc,etc.)

Also,if the system does cost more than the car,it is IN the car,right? So if there were a mishap,you would lose the system AND the car in the resulting fire.

Put the fuse near the battery. Trust me. Anybody who says differently is full of it.

You MUST have a fuse at the battery unless you want to risk losing both the car and the system.

You can have more than one fuse. Generally, there is one fuse at the battery to protect the vehicle and another set of fuses near the amplifiers to protect the smaller wires going from the distribution block to the amps.

Hifonics recommend using nothing larger than a 200 amp fuse. If you only have one amp being powered by the main power wire, you can use the recommended fuse at the battery. If you're using multiple amps (assumed), you'd use whatever fuse is necessary to protect the wire. You'd then use the correct size fuses for the amps and short lengths of wire in the rear of the vehicle.

While Hifonics recommends a 200 amp fuse, there is virtually no way for that fuse to prevent the amplifier from being damaged if something goes wrong. A 125 or a 150 amp fuse would likely be large enough and would be much better at protecting the amplifier.

You should read the following page:
FUSES

Actually It's not atm, lol all I have right now is the amp...just bought it yesterday...which was scary because I always shop on amazon and the amp got delivered in a day..

But yeah, I see what you mean, was being a smart ***...The current fuse I bought is a 250A fuse...and I'm going to be buying another 250 a fuse for in between my amp and cap.

But I am only running one amp because the hifonics is overpowering my subs by 100 rms...so don't want to damage them.

Last edited:
just like perry said, always have a fuse within 12-18" from the battery connection, no larger than the safe current "ampacity" that the wire is rated for at the distance. now, if your amp suggests smaller fusing, you can add more fusing by the amp for that. actually it works out well to use the fuse by the amp as a distro block. i have seen first-hand the after-math of an un-fused 8awg cable, and it was not pretty indeed. in fact, cost about 1300 just to get the vehicle drivable, and that did not include carpet, trim, and smell. now, just imagine what a large cable can do. fire, exploded battery, etc. just make sure the fuse holder is sealed from elements and use the provided cable sealing grommets, and any o-rings. any surface that is not a good seal can be made to seal better with Vaseline or grease. would last just as well as an interior fuse location

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.