Bought an old skool Kicker KS80 substation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was browsing local kijiji for a while now to try and find an old school Kicker KS80 substation. One finally popped up and it was in mint condition. Seller was asking $75 bucks, so I offered $40 bucks and he accepted. Cant go wrong ! :) So I went to pick it up today. To my surprise, it was owned by an older retired guy in his early 60's. That explains why it's in such great shape ! It came out of his wifes Acura integra hatchback back in the day.

This sub is from the time when kicker car audio was actually a higher end car audio manufacturer, made by stillwater designs in Oklahoma U.S.A. from the mid to late 90's, not like the cheap kicker of today where it's made in China !
This 8" subwoofer box is small, very lightweight and compact (18 x 9 x 9), delivers some clean low frequencies, perfect for a 1990 Honda CRX.
All I need now is to buy an amp for it.

Specs:
http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/KS02Manual.pdf

Pics:

30114004120_large.jpg

30114004124_large.jpg

30114004121_large.jpg

30114004122_large.jpg

30114004123_large.jpg

30114004125_large.jpg

30114004119_large.jpg

That is the good stuff from days gone by. The stitched surround was kind of a signature for Kicker. The combo most people went with at the time was an Alpine head unit, Audio Control signal processing, Rockford Fosgate amps, MB Quart mids and highs, and Kicker Comp subs. I loved the old Kicker subs that had the outlined gold lettering.

Any of these old school amps will drive your sub just fine : Coustic AMP-190, Alpine 3522, Rockford Fosgate Punch 75, PPI A100, HiFonics Pluto. There's many more, those are just some off the top of my head.

I have to agree with JLH, Though I may not be that old to remember when these were on the shelf...I have owned a few...not a big fan of "bazooka" subwoofers, But those amps JLH mentioned are hard to find (on some days) and if you do find them, most of them were so abused that they are almost not operational. Some new amplifiers may work. Rockford would be my suggestion although I'm a Hifonics and Kenwood amp lover.

well, that's just it- they are not "bazooka style" closes bazooka enclosure was a compact sealed triangle sub. other than that, they always had the crappy signature port. this is just a nice looking tuned enclosure. stillwater used to have a real nice enclosure division to design things for them. actually, about the rockford amps, i buy and see them all the time. i currently own about 4-5 and more on the way. only a few work atm, since i'm mostly buying broken amps to fix/upgrade, but i do see them all the time. however, there are some zr amps floating around for sale that would do nicely. a zr240 would match this real nice, and be period correct, if that interests you. i think there is still one going for $75.

Back in high school there was a guy that had six of the 10" Bazooka tubes in his Isuzu Impulse hatchback. He powered them off of six Alpine 3525 amps all bridged mono to each tube. He could drive through the high school parking lot and set off everyone's car alarms. Of course it sounded like crap, but as kids we thought it was the coolist thing going. Wow, I just dated myself.

lolz, i know all about the bazookas..... one of my first enclosures i came up with was a single 12 in a 3' section of 3/4" thick concrete former tube. i placed itunder the stair-well, and tuned the other end by tilting it on the floorat different angles.....well, i didn't know at the time, being 14-15, is that i was creating a quasi-6th order, but for a few years, i had some faith in tubes, lol, so i went with all different things, and still have a different pre-fab sealed tube, and old bazooka tube stuffed way under the bench, that i'm too lazy to dig out and get rid of, lol. they are just simple, plain, and not real efficient under real power(bazooka tubes), though, they did make 50watts sound decent. speaking of setting off alarms in school, i did that just fine with a single pioneer 12 in small sealed (first ones with the pp cone)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.