I fried my US Amp AX3000DE. Can anyone help me out? I have a video of it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Rebuilt power supply. Wouldn't new ones be better? "

You should read up on Perry's training tutorial links. A little brush up of the details should help you figure out if you up to rebuild the amp yourself or not.

The amount of soldering alone will likely have your friend pulling his hair out as the entire amp needs to be cleaned of soot and ash, prep'ed for new parts and then new parts once ordered and gotten will need to be placed and soldered and then any clean up again that the soldering may have left behind. Computer tech's rarely do more then ten minutes of soldering a week, this job will require hours of de-soldering and clean up, and the re-soldering, and possible PC board repair also as I have seen copper traces flash open like large fuses in my time, requiring major mending to the circuitry and board itself.

There are several people here who can competently repair this amp, but I can not speak for their schedule or their free time to do a large job like this. The rates you paid are typical of shops that have to pay building rent and electricity and business insurance fees etc...

This is a large amp and it has been repaired once already, so many may be hesitant to try. There are a limited number of times circuit boards can face soldering heat before the lamination of the copper traces just lets go.

For sure you most likely blew the outputs with the shorted speaker terminal ordeal, and that caused the power supply to go up in flames due to the sudden short circuit surge. So you looking at replacing most if not all of those power devices mounted on the sides under the clamps. then there are all the burnt resistors, and little driver transistors that also went up as the smoke was let out of your amp....

It's a big job even for a regular tech, maybe requiring a entire day to do the repair properly and then test the amp for proper operations. So I would not expect too much if someone low balls the job out to you. How much is a whole day of your life worth is a better way to understand the cost involved with a repair of this size. Even I would not touch this size of a job for less then $250.00 and that would be doing you a very large favor. The parts alone in single piece quantities from even the best sources will most likely run you upwards of $60.00 to $100.00 shipped, all depending on hard your willing to shop for quality parts for cheap prices.

The $300.00 price from the factory is customer loyalty price that they offer to owners so they stay loyal to the brand. It is usually a very good deal. Your amp was not cheap to buy in the first place so if I was in your shoes I would go factory repair if possible. As i warned earlier any low ball prices on a repair of this size is very questionable at best....hope some of this helps and i wish I had the time to do the job for you, but I don't....sorry...:(

Trust me. I had very very little faith in myself on this. I burned a lot of the parts and made a mess of it. Well. Thank you very much for your help. I was leaning towards the factory repair for all of those reasons you stated. I only paid 450 with shipping for the amp. BUT. I love it. And want to keep it.

So factory it is. Thank you very much for your word and your help.

oh. By the way. I wasn't mad with the price that the shop charged me. I understand how expensive shops are. That is why I do all of my own car repair. I don't know why I had two people telling me that the shop ripped me off.

Shop rates vary, but the factory deal is usually the best and it has factory warranty also. Glad to see you headed in the right direction my friend...:)

Thank you. That is what I thinking. If there is a possibility that the outputs went, or the board is damaged. It's better that the factory has it. And besides. It is the same price as the local shop. And only $100 more than shipping it to someone to fix it.

It was a very stupid mistake on my part and I am willing to admit to it. And have it fixed right and not waste anyones time.

Thank you for the help guys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.