Hifonics HFi1500D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, had an amp repair question and figured this was the best place to ask.

I have a Hifonics HFi1500D that I purchased in February of this year and just today it failed. I was driving, listening at a low volume and the unit went into protect mode just as I started making a turn. I've checked all connections and tried running the amp with nothing but power, remote turn on, and ground and it still goes into protect immediately.

Here's my question: The unit is still under warranty. Do I fix it myself or just have it replaced under warranty? Not sure if it's common for these amps to break, but if it is and I can fix it better than the replacement, I may as well do that.

Sub-question: If I do fix it myself, where do I start looking? Anything in particular that's a common issue? (I'm not dumb when it comes to Electronics, just not sure where to start as I don't normally work on amps)

Since it is under warranty, I'll go ahead and get it replaced. The place I purchased it from offered to replace it with the next version up (HFi2000D) as long as I cover shipping costs to/from. Not bad.

I did get curious and did as much looking I could without breaking the warranty seals. I was able to get the sides off and peer inside but didn't really see much (nothing worth photographing). I did find some oily fluid on the power side of the unit so I'm assuming a capacitor ruptured. I also saw some corrosion/white deposits on certain solder points on the bottom of the board and on the fuse contacts. Is this typical for higher power amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.