resonant frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the other day i put together a system to find the resonant frequency of various vehicals. it's a 1.1cf box with a 10" punch hx2 rfd2110 and a ~200w punch 2-ch amp. after displacement the box is 1cf, the sub only has 1 working 2 ohm coil and the amp stays at full pass. i have a 12v power supply and an oscilloscope at my house so i set the amp so it would'nt clip using a 60hz sine wave. i also checked the output voltage with my fluke 112 rms multimeter. i got ~18vac @60hz no clipping, i'll use that for a refrence later. i made it so i can clip the amp's power wire to the cars battery and i use my phone for the input. the bad part is the 1/2 blown subwoofer, it's a 2-ch amp so i can only use
1-ch of the amp with the single 2 ohm coil. i took it outside, set my term-lab mic about a foot of so in front of the sub and measured every frequency from 25hz to 65hz and averaged around 115db. i have 4 vehicals so i did test in evry one of them and got various results. oh yea according to an enclosure program the sub & box should have a Q of .76.

testing proceedure:
first i point the sub different ways and run a 20hz-120hz sweep and see what i get the the highest on. once i get that i will point the sub in the direction that gave me the highest numbers and will do sine waves in 1hz increments around my highest output frequency from the sweep.

example- if i peaked at 55hz on the sweep i would meter 1hz at a time between 50hz and 60hz and record all my results on the chart.

should i indivualy meter a wider variety of frequencies?

in my 2000 nissan altima i noticed it had 2 peak frequencies in my sweep.
@ 30hz = 118.13db
@ 49hz =118.11db

but i have a few questions.
would it be better if my setup was louder than 115db overall?
a friend of mine has a kicker comp 10 for sale but when i plug the specs into th software it says i will Q .5 with my 1.1cf box. should i wait for another sub that will have a Q of .7?
is there any way to improve my testing method?

If you want to find the vehicle's transfer function, take the speaker outside as far from any buildings/walls or any other boundary as possible. Run pink noise, get an average reading and save it.

Install the speaker in the vehicle, play pink noise, get another average reading and save it. Then display the difference between the two stored readings. That will show you what the vehicle does to the frequency response of the woofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.