Amp Will not Power on. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2011, 07:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amp Will not Power on.

okay im not sure if this in the right forum, But I had 2 Infinity Subs 1050w. 10's. They Where being powered for about 1 month with a Sony Xm2200gtx Amp 1200watt) 250 rms @ 2 ohms.. One Day while Driving down the road, i realized that my Subs shut down in a middle of my Song... Think i overheated the amp.. i Purchased a new amp. Sound Ordnance m-1500 cheapy from Crutchfield. Well I hooked up the New Amp and Nothing'...So i called up my buddy an we hooked up both amps in my buddys car than they both work'... So I pulled all the wires and Rewired my car' Still Nothing... Went.. to Autozone checked the battery.. They say the battery is good.. I'm Stumped. Thinking it was the Remote wire now.. We ran the remote wire to my buddys car'... because we knew his was good'. turned on both cars still nothing... so after 3 days of messing around with this system im about to pull it an give up.

To Sum up my Paragraph
I have Changed where my Ground wire is, i tryed the remote wire to the fuses, to the back of the radio, i re ran new 12v wire. ..put in a new ground wire. changed connectors' .. Checked the battery at autozone.. no piwer to amp wat so ever'?..Stumped.

thanks Guys
Old 24th August 2011, 08:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Did you check your inline fuse (power wire) even though it may look good ive seen alot of them go bad..

Next what kind of head unit are you running??
Old 24th August 2011, 08:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You need to confirm that you have sufficient power supply voltage. With your multimeter set to DC volts, the black meter probe on the ground terminal of the amp (not on the point where the ground wire connected to the vehicle) and the head unit on (so the amp will have remote voltage applied), touch the red probe alternately to the B+ and remote terminals of the amp. If the voltage is below ~11 volts on either the B+ or remote line, you need to check the wiring feeding whichever line is too low. If 'both' the B+ and remote turn-on lines are low and your battery is fully charged, you may have a bad ground connection.
Old 24th August 2011, 08:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Im Running a Jensen 9424, I checked the Fused it looks good' looks solid all the way thru.. I could switch it out. I got a few sitting around..

A Bad Ground even though it was working? I had 2 Sonys xplods in there for a about a year on that ground'. This is wats killing me it worked for a year an all of a sudden shut down. I recently Switched out to the infinitys cause i got them for cheap lol and boy do i regret that lol. because that when i started getting all these problems ill run a multi reader on it tomorrow an c thou just to c.. an switch out the fuse.
Old 24th August 2011, 08:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well it works in your friends car so its not the amp. Did you try hooking it back up to the previous ground? Sounds like you have a bad ground...
Old 24th August 2011, 08:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ya its all hooked back up to the original working Settings, that it was originally working on... I even Sanded down the original ground again. . .
Old 25th August 2011, 12:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Have you tried your infinity subs in your buddys car?

Have you removed the speakers from the box to see if any wiring came un-hooked inside the box?

If the amp is powering up and not going into thermal or protect it should work providing you have confirmed the power and remote voltage at the amp terminals.

Have you hooked your RCA cables from your head unit to your buddys amp to see if it is the signal source from your head unit?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 25th August 2011, 12:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry I mis-read thought you were not getting any sound then realized your amp will not power up.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 25th August 2011, 04:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

umm, i'm confused how the remote wire turned the amp on in another car.... how did you complete the circuit? get your dmm out and take your voltage readings..... only thing that is going to tell you what is going on.
Old 25th August 2011, 05:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Everyone, mike49504 was Right, Even though i switched the fuses out twice. Both Must of been bad' got a new fuses today' an it powered right up.. I Metered everything got good reads on everything now.

@ AKHeathen - We Ran the Remote Wire to his car'... because we knew his remote wire was good. Turned both cars on at the same time..but That still didn't turn the amp on thou. It really was a test to see if the remote wire was the issue.

Hide this!Advertise here!