jl audio 250/1 repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have a jl audio 250/1 that seems to have a problem. It has 60v across the output and has opened up both speakers. I will pull the amp tomorrow and check the outputs.

My question is what would cause this in a setup that has been working fine for 5 years?
This amp has been fine and worked great up until the time I unhooked the batteries in the truck that it is in.

I unhooked the batteries to work on the engine the other day and the first one sparked a little more than I would expect when I hooked it back up. I thought "no big deal" until I went for a test drive and the subs didn't work.
I checked the fuse and it was blown. I put another fuse in and I was back in business. Everything sounded fine. I checked the wiring for chafes and shorts and found nothing. Then a few days later the speakers made a "pop" sound and blew the fuse again. I replaced it again and everything was fine. I did this about 4 or 5 times. Then today it let out a "pop" and didn't blow the fuse, but opened up the voice coil on both speakers attached to the amp. Is there something else I need to check? I hate to think I am going to have to repair the amp every time I unhook the batteries.

Any ideas or tips/tricks to repairing a JL audio 250/1 would be appreciated.

Take Care,
Keith

Hello,
I had a chance to pull the amp apart today. It still has 60v on the output.

I have 60v across the output terminals with a load
I have 60v from the - output to ground
I have 0 v form the + output to ground

I check the 4 IRF540s and they check ok in circuit so I pulled all four from the board. I checked them again and all 4 check fine.

Does anyone have a schematic for this amp? It looks like I'm going to have to dig a little deeper.

Take Care,
Keith

Repaired, maybe. and another question

Hello,
I had some more time to work on the amp tonight. There was a problem with no -14v to u409 and u408. It was a open via on the -14v trace running under the 10ohm resistor R494. The trace runs on the underside of the board between the two points circled in the picture. I just soldered a jumper wire through both vias and it everything went back to normal. You have to lift R494 to get to them. Here is a pic.
I'll ask the question in the next post.

Take Care,
Keith

Attachments

• 2011-08-23 18.39.16_2.JPG
    2011-08-23 18.39.16_2.JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 141
The question.

And the question is how do you check the bias on this amp? I checked other post, and it seems there is a jumper to remove. I don't see a jumper in this amp. I am assuming it is the offset pot in the picture. But where do you read the bias current (or voltage) for this amp. Sorry about the crappy pics, I used my cell phone.

Thanks for everybody's help

Take Care,
Keith

Attachments

• 2011-08-23 19.16.42.jpg
    2011-08-23 19.16.42.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 109
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.