car stereo connected to 32 ohm driver? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2011, 05:00 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

It's extremely dangerous to wear heaphones on a bike/motorcycle.
In many countries the law forbids it.

I think we shouldn't go further.
Old 29th August 2011, 03:47 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I found EXACTLY what I needed from the ST owners forum I am a member of. Starcom1 has an MUS-03, I got the piece from spoiledbiker.com. It connects to the outputs of a car type stereo and transforms/ limits the output into a standard 3.5 mm 3 pole. Perfect, no guess work involved. 4 connections to solder and done. $50 and it is mine. Oh, referring to the comments about wearing headphones on a bike...do you ride? The wind noise is pretty loud by itself, even on my bike with a full windshield. Go down the road at 60 mph and stick your head out the window. Do you hear that car next to you? Didn't think so. That is why motorcycles come with....wait for it.....MIRRORS! And yes, I CAN still hear emergency vehicle sirens. I was much more concerned about the moron in the red Chevy pickup that was riding my rear today near Lincolton NC while I was doing the speed limit. He finally passed me, barely, only to end up oh, maybe, 15 seconds ahead of me in Lincolton traffic. Only going to be one winner in the fight between a motorcycle and a car, ever. And I have seen plenty of people riding in cars wearing headphones. So, anyway, if someone is doing a search looking for a solution to this headphone situation, go to spoiledbiker.com and get an MUS-03. Well worth $50. And PUHLEASE stop hijacking threads!!!!!!!!!!! I had a legitimate question and all I wanted was an answer, not a commentary about good ideas and legality.
Old 29th August 2011, 04:06 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

OR you could do what I did and make everyone happy. Use 2 Harmon Kardon sound bars from a PC system a small 25W 12V amp any input source you desire. Loud enough to hear on a rice rocket at 12,000RPM 70Mph with and without helmet.
HARMAN KARDON MEDIA DESKTOP CLEAR SPEAKERS SUBWOOFER PC | eBay

Add a few LED's and you have a pretty neat one of a kind sound system that looks cool on any bike with proper mounting.

Also I have recently added 2 more speakers. My mirror pods have plastic mirrors in them. I drilled a hole in each and mounted one of the speakers in the mirror pod. The speakers have a mirrored cone. I added 2 more speakers kept mirror functionality and made the system even more unique. Granted the image is blurry with music playing but the mirrors vibrate from the bike some and the rest of the mirror serves its porpous.
Old 29th August 2011, 08:40 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I commented about your idea because I care your health. And not because I wanted to bother you.
Of course at high speed you can't hear a lot.
But when you are at low speed or crossing a road, sometimes hearing a bit more can save your life.
Old 29th August 2011, 11:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Simplicity has it's price, and I'm sure your just happy to have found an easy solution, but $50 is a bit much for what for that thing does IMO.

Also, are you aware it's a MONO device? Not sure if your application includes stereo music listening.

Last edited by theAnonymous1; 29th August 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 2nd September 2011, 04:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ok. So I am a rider also and I do not have a $50 to throw away. Could any of the subject matter experts be kind enough to post a simple diagram with componnents that could be obtained at the radio shack to complete the circuit? The radio is Pyle PLMRKT13BK unit with 4x50W at 4 ohm. I have tried this circuit http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm with 400 ohm 1 W, then 120 ohm to ground, 22 ohm after. The sound was kind of muffed, but i could adjust it however this setup caused the heat sinks to heat up a lot!!! Now, I use 3 -pole jack all grounds go to one and front and back (positives) (by side) outputs and bound together. Could and of the subject matter experts here help me to modify this circuit so it doesnít destroy my radio and sounds good through my 32 Ohm ear buds?

Btw. I am a long distance rider, I find listening to audio books the best mind exercise to avoid brain fatigue.

Agree with the previous post- ear buds will block outside noise allowing whatever you will put through them.

Great thanks for any reply, and please donít make it too complicated of an answer so I can actually do this
Old 3rd September 2011, 03:25 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanx View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Now, I use 3 -pole jack all grounds go to one and front and back (positives) (by side) outputs and bound together.
Bad idea. The speaker "grounds" are not grounds at all, they are the negative node of a bridged output for each channel. Amplifier channels should't be paralleled without proper current sharing.

I don't know the exact circuit of the device the OP decided to go with, but I know it's simply a 100R:100R transformer. The same kind you can find in a cheap high to low level adapter on ebay. As a matter of fact, if it has an adjustable output, you could just one as is for your headphones.

One like this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330593999790

Last edited by theAnonymous1; 3rd September 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 16th September 2011, 04:07 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you theAnonymous1

That is correct. I have purchases said Hi to Lo device. It does have adjustible output (pretty well made too) . As of now it is installed and tested- works great! Thank you!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!