Mmats DHC1400.1 - Find the missing pieces

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp now has working outputs and can produce audio. The thing about this amp though, is it starts acting a little funny at 12v battery voltage. It doesnt like operating at anything less than 12v. When it hits 12v, it pops the speaker loudly and clipps the power supply, but as soon as the volume/gain is lowered it will continue playing just fine.

I ran this amp hard with a much larger power supply for 20 minutes at 2ohms and it didnt give a lick of problems, didnt even get past the point of warm.

I then sold this amp to a local, who after a weekend running it at 1ohm and with some sort of spare battery to combat voltage drop; returned it to me with half the output transistors shorted. Could it be my repair attempt or some expectation that caused this amp to fail?

Last rebuild, I replaced all the IRF3710z, all the ~80v TVSs, and the Class-D chip. I think I have to do it again now; but how can I make this amp more reliable, and/or rebuild it properly?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.