Build Quality of Car Amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apart from repairing a speaker in my car, I confess I really never did much with car audio.

I'm going to get some new door speakers, and while I'm at it, I thought I'd get a subwoofer...and thus an amp.

But one thing has always worried me about buying these amps, and it applies to any piece of electronics...How much do they cheap out on you? They of course have profit in mind....but you can only cheap out to an extent without making me mad.

This is a very affordable amp: Kenwood KAC-5204 2-channel car amplifier — 60 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com

Being able to be bridged, it can provide upwards of 100W, which is plenty. I don't need too much bump.

Has anyone every taken this type of amp apart? At this pricepoint? What's the quality like?

I'd suspect bad brand electrolytic caps and some cheapo carbon film resistors, and not too many film caps....

But I could be wrong. These should be built to last, since it is in your car, which can have all sorts of conditions.

Thanks.

Kenwood and most of the Japanese companies build amps with the cheapest parts possible that will do the job reliably. If they're not abused, they will generally last for about 10 years before they start having problems.

Some brands get a lot of things right and get a few things very wrong causing high failure rates. Some brands get virtually everything right and make very reliable amps but they're not cheap. If you want a cheap amp, the Kenwood is probably a decent choice.

I would love to see pictures...but only if you'd like! If it causes problems, please do not. I have a Sony head unit. I think it's about 3 years old now. I like it. People don't like sony speakers though...but the head unit sounds good to me, and works well. It was only like $90....So I quesiton it's internal build too, but I'm not too concerned.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.