Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2011, 04:30 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Got it. Thanks again for all your help. I'll update when I get the new transistors in.
Old 20th August 2011, 01:09 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well, I seem to have hit another snag. Where can I get the transistors? I need IRF9640 and IRF640N transistors.

I've seen several sites selling them, but apparently there are a lot of "fakes" out there, and I have no idea how to avoid them. There are also a lot with extra letters and numbers, and I don't know what any of it means.

This page at avnet, for example.

At Fry's, they have the brand NEC, but I don't know how to judge equivalent parts. I jotted down what they have that looked similar. I can post the numbers if that helps.

edit: Is digikey good? I found IRF9640's and IRF640N's on the site, but they are not stock items, and min quantities are in the hundreds. They do have PBF versions (which I linked to). Does that only mean lead-free? So would they be fine? I'd still like to know the NEC equivs, or what I need to know to find one. They have books, but I don't know what is and is not important.

Last edited by caraudiobum; 20th August 2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 20th August 2011, 01:30 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Try Mouser, Digi-key, Arrownac or Future Electronics.
Old 20th August 2011, 02:13 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

also, look at tayda electronics. i have used them before for something that seemed hard to get, and they had it in international rectifier (brand) st mocro, and fairchild are decent brands, too. tip: when you order, order 10+ for more reliability, since you will get them all from the same batch. the extra numbers on the transistor below the part number, next to the symbol in ir's is the build date and line
Old 20th August 2011, 04:25 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Tayda has them for significantly lower prices, about 25% as much as digikey. Any chance they would be less reliable? It had the manufacturer and datasheet one the page, and seems like the exact same thing. Why so much cheaper?
Old 20th August 2011, 05:04 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

what brand? if they are a good brand, like the international rectifier, then they are good. tayda is more direct to the source. they are actually overseas, where they are made, iirc
Old 20th August 2011, 05:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Cheap isn't always better, especially when you're not experienced. Using the suppliers I suggested will guarantee that you don't get counterfeit parts.

Hide this!Advertise here!