Sub Recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The big problem you have to overcome is little to no cabin gain from your truck. Because you have a lot of width, and are planning on going with a sealed box, then you could fit 4 12" drivers. Each with about 1 cu ft of space. Each would need to be able to handle 500W RMS (easy to find). With 64" of width you may even be able to squeeze 4 15, but you'd have to do more searching to find a 15 that works good in 1 cuft.

That'd be great if I were looking to use the entire rear, but unfortunately I'm only looking to use 1/2 to 2/3's of the volume...which really limits me.

I did find these Pioneer Pro's...I'm having a hard time finding a bad review on them. I'm sure they aren't the best 12" sub out there, but they meet every requirement of mine...they handle 1K rms, the only need 1 cubic ft in a sealed enclosure and they are 170 a pop (I saw them cheaper too).

I understand I wouldn't be getting the same sound out of them as the SXX's or XXX in a ported enclosure, but I'm now just hoping for them to sound decent given my restrictions...what do ya think?

I like the cost per performance ratio of these sundown drivers.
WoofersEtc.com - E-12D2 - Sundown Audio 12" Dual 2-Ohm E Series Subwoofer E12D2

But I have no experience with them or the Pioneer that you found. You'll have to experiment.

The last option to consider would be one of these.
DECWARE's Death Box II - High Output Subwoofer

I have personal experience with the smaller 10" version, and I can tell you that it has quality bass and a lot of it. You'd have to check the decware forum for sub recommendations for the 12" version, but it would fit in your space required.

Thanks again rock!!! I looked up the Sundowns, and rather than the E series, I'm leaning towards the SA's. They are only a little more expensive than the both the E's and the Pioneers, and even though they are rated at 600 rms, youtube shows people tossing more power at them. Best of all, they still only recommend a 1 cubic foot for a sealed enclosure! Youtube shows much more potential from these speakers than the Pioneers, so unless you or someone else can recommend a better speaker than this, it's what I'll be pushing!

Now the Death Box...that's damn cool!
Please don't laugh, but my daily driver S10 has a "system" too. It's 2 10's that I can't remember the name, but it has a red lighning bolt but not lightning audio in a sealed box powered by a Crunch 1000 (like I said...don't laugh). The highs are Alpine R coaxles in the doors and also powered by Crunch amp (ok...go ahead and laugh...). It sounds decent for me just driving around daily, and actually is one of the best balanced system I've ever had since I've never built anything really nice (ok...go ahead and keep laughing). That Death Box sounds like a good project for my 10's and 1st ever vented enclosure.

If you told me you had 4" Kraco speakers in your doors and a shaft style tape player with a Kraco EQ/Booster for an amp, I'd probably laugh, but the stuff you mentioned is not really that bad. The best part and the most important part is that YOU LIKE the sound of it. Your ears are much more important than anyone's opinion.

The deathbox should work good in your truck, and you'll only need 1 of them.

Even though it's the best balanced system I've had...it's definitely lacking...mainly in the mid bass and clarity area. I'm sure the mounts for the 6.5's is the main culprit because the 10s actually hit fairly clean. I picked up a set of 5 1/4 component's for my mom's ride, but they didn't fit, so I might try to toss them in the S10 in favor of the Type R's to get a little more help in both those areas...

For the Blazer...just waiting on the tax return to come in so I can finally make this speaker purchase! I know this is an audio forum, but I'm really hoping to get this damn thing back on the road her in the next month. I haven't driven it for over a year. I was just supposed to clean her up, but it snowballed fast into a total build. I redid the entire air management system, upgraded all the wiring, layed down sound deadener and foam and a bunch of other little things. Right now me and a friend have been filling in all the trim holes and shaving stuff I don't want on the body and have just been blocking the heck out of it. It should be ready for paint in 2 weeks and then the interior will be recovered...after that I can start building the system! I'll be sure to post some pics! It'll be my 1st time using fiberglass for the kickpanels, and even my 1st time wrapping anything in vinyl, so it's going to be a fun adventure for sure!

Here's a pic of the head unit..
attachment.php

attachment.php

The aluminum bezel around the head unit is a kind of one off piece I got from another message board. A guy went to have one made and it was almost as much to make 1 as it was 10, so he made 10 and sold 9 of em.

Here's a couple pics of my dampening...since I don't run the top, I decided to not do a full cover. I got the deadener and foam from RAAmat.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I can't load the pics you attached.

Let me know how those sundown subs sound, I'm curious about them.

It's probably because I linked them from another formum...
Here's the pics...

I sure will...hopefully it will be about a month and done!

Attachments

• IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0407.jpg
    IMAG0407.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0408.jpg
    IMAG0408.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0409.jpg
    IMAG0409.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0423.jpg
    IMAG0423.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0424.jpg
    IMAG0424.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 20
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.