Crazy Idea Sanyo PA6100 AMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They're unlikely to survive and if they use the large output modules, they may not be repairable.

The circuit has a number of problems. Where did you get it from? If you go back and number each component (R1, R2, C1, C2...), I'll try to help with it.

What is the purpose for the circuit other than inverting one channel?

Where are you getting the ±18v?

They're unlikely to survive and if they use the large output modules, they may not be repairable.

The circuit has a number of problems. Where did you get it from? If you go back and number each component (R1, R2, C1, C2...), I'll try to help with it.

What is the purpose for the circuit other than inverting one channel?

Where are you getting the ±18v?
i copied it from a powered sub woofer that i have but i don't need to go that route i went Navone Engineering and they had a in line transformer that did the same thing. So i mono ed my first sanyo pa6100 today. I tested with a 15in 4ohm woofer for a hour at 3/4 volume with no problems.

Last edited:
You could have used one of these also, it has a normal and a 180 out of phase single output thus earning the name sub-woofer crossover/ bridging adapter:

Audio Control 2XS 2-way "Old School" Crossover 90Hz | eBay

:)

Those old Sanyo amps were monsters but they use power amp chips like used in home stereo gear back in the 70's and 80's and they have internal emitter resistors that like to go out of spec when exposed to high current conditions. They are internal to the big chip so they will be unserviceable and the whole chip will require replacement. I think this is what Perry was thinking of concerning the application of running low ohm loads. Had a few of the old Sanyo amps myself...

Last edited:
You could have used one of these also, it has a normal and a 180 out of phase single output thus earning the name sub-woofer crossover/ bridging adapter:

Audio Control 2XS 2-way "Old School" Crossover 90Hz | eBay

:)

Those old Sanyo amps were monsters but they use power amp chips like used in home stereo gear back in the 70's and 80's and they have internal emitter resistors that like to go out of spec when exposed to high current conditions. They are internal to the big chip so they will be unserviceable and the whole chip will require replacement. I think this is what Perry was thinking of concerning the application of running low ohm loads. Had a few of the old Sanyo amps myself...
The old sanyo Pa amp's were bullet proof to a point they could take a beating at low ohms. The main failure in the sanyo was the power supply and that usually easy fix. I have only seen one STK Power pack failure and that was do to a dead short at high volume on one woofer.What killed sanyo is they did not make a amp above 100watts people want more power why have a 100watt when you could have a 1000watt amp.

I wanted to do something that someone has not done before with the sanyo PA6100 and that was to mono it to a subwoofer and i did it and it works great.

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it for the first time, today... and I had done exactly what was described here- back in the early 1990s, when I used to do high-end custom car audio. I also had a knack for doing big bang-for-the-buck on a budget too, and a lot of people would seek me out for just that. This was one of those cases.

Had a client, with a big system in a station wagon- he had built enclosures for two 15" woofers, four 10", and mid-high drivers (Morel mids and Peerless tweeters, IIRC?) in the four corners of the car. He had an amp for the four 10" (MTX Road Thunder, IIRC), that would work fine, and a nice 4-channel amp for the highs- but he also had two Sanyo PA6100 amps and two 8 ohm 15" MTX Terminator woofers. He came to me asking how he could use those together.

So, I used a circuit I built on protoboard, based loosely on the "bridging modules" used by Orion and Precision Power at the time- a basic op-amp inverter based on a TL072 chip. I tapped into one amplifier power supply, and fed positive and negative VCC rail power (about + and - 12v, IIRC) out through a shielded cable, to my circuit. IIRC, I built this into a 3-way electronic crossover (with selectable frequencies, via 8-pin DIP resistor packs which I made up), using a second-order Sallen-Key circuit, to run the whole system. It had stereo mid and high outputs, and a positive and negative polarity subwoofer output via RCA jacks. I put this into one of the ubiquitous "blue project boxes" so common at the time.

So, he wound up with a good 100w per subwoofer. For a Terminator 15, that was a good range- it was quite loud, and sounded good. With the 8 ohm woofers, everything was within the correct SOA range within the amp, too (it "acted" like a 4 ohm load per channel, as far as current draw through the outputs were concerned).

This was way back in about 1991, IIRC. Have no idea where the stuff wound up- haven't see the guy in years...

Regards,
Gordon.

Oh, BTW: IIRC, I actually built a "sixth order assisted" alignment into the crossover/inverter, for the bass. I had him tune the port frequency lower than normal alignment, and added about 3-4dB of "boost" with a high-Q second-order highpass filter, set with its "knee" at the vent frequency of the box. It easily got into the low-mid 20Hz range- it would shake the car like crazy, on pipe organs or synth bass...

Regards,
Gordon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.