Crazy Idea Sanyo PA6100 AMP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2011, 07:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Crazy Idea Sanyo PA6100 AMP

Ok i am doing a old school setup with two sanyo PA6100 amp's and i want to mono them but you can't with out some mod's to the pre amp. So here my idea. am i on the right track?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th July 2011, 07:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th July 2011, 08:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Why do you want to bridge it? If I remember correctly, these amps can't drive anything lower than 4 ohms. Bridged, that would be 8 ohms minimum.
Old 19th July 2011, 07:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
Why do you want to bridge it? If I remember correctly, these amps can't drive anything lower than 4 ohms. Bridged, that would be 8 ohms minimum.
I have ran them at 2ohm stereo with no problems in the past.
Old 19th July 2011, 07:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Were they rated to go to 2 ohms per channel?
Old 19th July 2011, 09:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Were they rated to go to 2 ohms per channel?
No but we did it anyways back in the late 80's & early 90's they ran a little hot but did not thermal the amp.
Old 19th July 2011, 02:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

They're unlikely to survive and if they use the large output modules, they may not be repairable.

The circuit has a number of problems. Where did you get it from? If you go back and number each component (R1, R2, C1, C2...), I'll try to help with it.

What is the purpose for the circuit other than inverting one channel?

Where are you getting the 18v?
Old 20th July 2011, 07:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They're unlikely to survive and if they use the large output modules, they may not be repairable.

The circuit has a number of problems. Where did you get it from? If you go back and number each component (R1, R2, C1, C2...), I'll try to help with it.

What is the purpose for the circuit other than inverting one channel?

Where are you getting the 18v?
i copied it from a powered sub woofer that i have but i don't need to go that route i went Navone Engineering and they had a in line transformer that did the same thing. So i mono ed my first sanyo pa6100 today. I tested with a 15in 4ohm woofer for a hour at 3/4 volume with no problems.

Last edited by Brain Fried; 20th July 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 20th July 2011, 06:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You could have used one of these also, it has a normal and a 180 out of phase single output thus earning the name sub-woofer crossover/ bridging adapter:

Audio Control 2XS 2-way "Old School" Crossover 90Hz | eBay

Those old Sanyo amps were monsters but they use power amp chips like used in home stereo gear back in the 70's and 80's and they have internal emitter resistors that like to go out of spec when exposed to high current conditions. They are internal to the big chip so they will be unserviceable and the whole chip will require replacement. I think this is what Perry was thinking of concerning the application of running low ohm loads. Had a few of the old Sanyo amps myself...

Last edited by 1moreamp; 20th July 2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: low ohm failures
Old 22nd July 2011, 05:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreamp View Post
You could have used one of these also, it has a normal and a 180 out of phase single output thus earning the name sub-woofer crossover/ bridging adapter:

Audio Control 2XS 2-way "Old School" Crossover 90Hz | eBay

Those old Sanyo amps were monsters but they use power amp chips like used in home stereo gear back in the 70's and 80's and they have internal emitter resistors that like to go out of spec when exposed to high current conditions. They are internal to the big chip so they will be unserviceable and the whole chip will require replacement. I think this is what Perry was thinking of concerning the application of running low ohm loads. Had a few of the old Sanyo amps myself...
The old sanyo Pa amp's were bullet proof to a point they could take a beating at low ohms. The main failure in the sanyo was the power supply and that usually easy fix. I have only seen one STK Power pack failure and that was do to a dead short at high volume on one woofer.What killed sanyo is they did not make a amp above 100watts people want more power why have a 100watt when you could have a 1000watt amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!