Paging Perry, if you are around, one issue with PPI Promos 425

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Perry! Remember this that I posted:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/191219-help-cant-figure-out-what-resistors-these.html

Ok, my deck issues taken care of, hooked everything up, I don't have sound through the rear output of the amp. I do have sound through the front output (that's where the resistors were worse off, compared to the rear side of the circuit board).

One big difference here, and wondering if this could be the cause. The two capacitors in-line with the resistors on the front output, I changed those out. I did not change them out on the rear output, near the two heated up rear output resistors.

Does this sound like a good possibility for the cause of no rear output? I am going to replace them just in case, just wanted your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Ok, my mistake, thinking it could be the amp. One last thing to try. I tried speakers on both front and rear output, and I appear to have sound. Tried switching around RCAs too, just to make sure no problem on that end of things and seems fine.

That leaves it down to my deck which just got back from having its outputs replaced/repaired by Kenwood warranty depot. I'll try hooking up the RCAs to the rear output on deck, currently they are on front output.

Tim

RCAs on rear out of deck, same symptom.

Symptom: No sound on right/passenger side

Setup:

PPI Promos 425 (4 channel), single RCA from front output on deck going to amp, split with a Y connector, plugged into all four amp RCA jacks.

Front output of amp sending signal to driver/left side of car (crossover/components), where I have sound.

Rear output of amp sending signal to passenger/right side of car (crossover/components), no sound.

I think I have ruled out the amp. If I plug in RCA to rear RCAs on amp, and plug the driver speaker wires to the rear output of amp, I have sound in driver side. Same goes if I plug RCA into the front RCAs on amp, and driver side speakers to front output of amp.

So issue maybe, somehow with my passenger side crossover, speakers, speaker wire I would think at this point. Ugh.

Tim

Confirm that the RCA shields for the rear channels read 0 ohms to the case of the head unit (no RCAs plugged in).

Thanks! I unhooked the RCAs from the amp and the head unit, Ohm meter set at 200, I get a read of 24-26 from one shield end of RCA to the other end, on both left/right of the RCA cable. Unless I've mis-interpreted what you were asking me to do.

Was my thought the RCA cable itself may be fine, as it plugged into either front/rear of amp, I was getting clear signal/sound to the speakers.

Realized now, all RCAs unhooked, one lead of Ohm meter on head unit case, other lead to RCA shields on the amp or head unit, or RCA cable end itself?

Tim

Last edited:
Understood now. So your thoughts (which would mean the Kenwood warranty depot didn't fix it fully) are that the shield ground might be open. The result I "want" to see, to confirm head unit is ok, is a less than 1ohm reading between shield and head unit case?

That may point it back to the amp then. If I see greater than 1ohm, then head unit still has issues and I'll need to send it back to them to get fixed or replaced.

Thanks again for your assistance!!!

Tim

Do all RCA shields read the same (shield to case, not shield to shield)?

Doing this while at work, heading out as is 5:00, I did not test it right when you initially posted. I'll have an answer on what readings from RCA shields to head unit case are later this evening.

I'd be happy (yet again) to hear it is the head unit and not the amp, but took them 12 days to get it back to me from the original problems it was sent out for.

Tim

Hi Perry, good news that my amp should be ok, assuming results now point to the head unit. I'd be happy to just buy another head unit, but that's a different story.

Pulled RCAs from the head unit, used ohm meter and tested on all RCA jack shields to head unit case, and had full readings on all. There was no resistance at all, just full open to each other, as though I was testing a straight steel nail from both ends.

Tim

That's normal. You should read the same as if you touched the probes together. Reconnect the RCAs going to the front channels of the amp and the front channels of the head unit and confirm that it produces clean audio.

Then, move the RCA cables from the front output of the head unit to the rear output of the head unit. Does it produce audio?

I do get clean audio currently, just to the left side. I had moved the RCAs to the rear output on deck, and same, clean audio, no sound on right side.

Originally deck went in for repair for a problem with the outputs, where I had a ton of noise/buzzing/popping from the speakers. They resolved this issue, but before sending it for repair, I had sound from both sides. Now I don't.

I've contacted Kenwood, explained it has been fixed for initial problem, but now have this problem. I'm hoping they can just replace the head unit completely.

My big test today, going to where I bought the head unit and see if I can hookup another Kenwood to see if I get sound on both sides.

Tim

Update. Ok, I can't make sense of this. I swear, having switched the front speaker output on amp connector to the rear output, I had sound.

Here's what I just did, everything powered up and sound going to left side, I put tester to the speaker outs on the front output of amp and am reading voltage. I put the tester on the speaker rear output of amp, no voltage.

Hoping now that there may be an obvious/easy component in the amp I could replace.

Thanks again!

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.