dead 2kw earthquake amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:bawling:
hello i have a earthquake powerhouse d2, its a 2kw @ 2ohm sub amp class d
and it smoked up, cooking one of the output filter inductors, no speakers were hooked up to it at the time and it did not short circuit. i tryed replacing the inductor with a simular homemade one (same size wire, same amount of turns, same core)
no go still, draws large amounts of current. overloads my 12v 40A switchmode test supply with nothing hooked up to it
any ideas? some of the chip descriptions have been scrubbed, think it uses a hip4080 .....
any ideas?

also any basic simple schematics around for class d amps?
thanks!:cannotbe:

Attachments

• earthquake powerhouse d2.jpg
    earthquake powerhouse d2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 737
With my experience on working on car amp once they smoke there broke for ever. i usually nail them to the wall with a plack telling what happened. : O)

I could be wrong but.. they are hard amps to repair.
[/QUOTE]

If you can build home amplifiers, fixing car amplifiers is
cake walk. 9 times out of 10, car amp repair is rather simple.
In the case of the fried coil, you need to figure out of the coils are
shorted or did the enamel just look burnt.

You can nearly be sure that at least one leg of the SMPS is blown. This would explain the massive supply current with no load hooked up. Just measure the power FETs - they will show nearly 0 ohms (drain to source) if broken. If so, replace the whole leg, even if there is only one of them blown, with transistors out of one production lot.
HIP 4080/81 tend to burn too, I would not switch the unit on without replacing the driver chip.

:devily:
thanks for your help in all this, but i asked a teacher that teaches electronics and he said to just try som,e simple stuff like you said, i did and it seemed ok, so i thought id power it back up again, and well it works!!!!!!:clown:
i dunno how, i didnt do anything! but running off my 40A switchmode it polled my 2 250wrms 12 subs like it was NOTHING and overloaded my switchmode! (lucky i have 4 of them so i can parallel them up)
a while ago i had 8 (yes 8) 250wrms 12 subs hooked up with my 4 switchmodes at a party and all house lights dimmed with every beat.....

just not sure about the inductor id put in, cus it gets warmer than the other one next to it, its suppost to be the same.... i tryed!
but it works now and i sure am happy!
thanks for your help!:devily:

to Kgrant.

Most likely it will be the power transistors.

I can tell those transistors are bi-polar not mosfet[mosfet are the ones in the round metal case].
Anyway I'm not all keen on bi-polar transistors[the black plastic cased ones] they can't handle as much heat as the metal cased mosfet type.
I don't know if that amp had a cooling fan or not?
But not just transistors get hot,also the resistors on the power supply and transformer and inductors can get hot.

So any amp over 80w rms per channel used for high volume use for longer than 2 hours should be fitted with a large cooling fan,and sufficent protection circuit[protect against DC fault,overheat,short circuit,open circuit].
overheat = lower impedance than the amp can handle,or running the amp into near clipping point for hours.
short circuit: burnt coil causes short circuit,speaker wires or signal wires touching each other= short circuit.
DC Fault= severe clipping causes pure DC to run into speakers causing smoking voice coil,and if the amp goes wrong and anything shorts or changes is considered DC fault
Open circuit= nothing connected to amp[no load] and run full by accident causes amp to stain itself.

So if your amp has a full protection circuit,and if it did have a cooling fan and Mosfet power metal cased transistors.
So if anything went wrong with it nothing would blow up or burn out,or smoke,it would just stop working.

Test every single component with a digital multimeter to figure out which parts are broken.And is the printed circuit board is badly burnt,buy a new one,as poor contant is a fire hazard

:att'n: Also the most common part to fry easily is the main resistor on the power supply.
The mostly costly parts in amps are: main current capacitors,power supply inductors and transformers,transistors,circuit board,intergrated circuit chip.
The diodes,resistors,small capacitors,leds are very cheap to replace.
Also check whether the circuit board has any miniture glass fuses anywhere and see if they are blown.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.