diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   KX 1200.1 burnt output inductor (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/192339-kx-1200-1-burnt-output-inductor.html)

nonprof 9th July 2011 11:08 PM

KX 1200.1 burnt output inductor

Hello Guys!

Could somebody help me to identify the value of the toroidal inductor at the output stage of this amp? It's burnt and having problem on recoiling, last time I did, found hissing on thjs amp...maybe I did mistake on recoiling.

Thanks in advance!

nonprof 11th July 2011 02:35 AM

please help guys...i dont have schematics...thanks!

ComputerJLT 11th July 2011 02:52 AM

can you count the turns? do u have a pic of the inductor?

Perry Babin 11th July 2011 02:59 AM

Sometimes the cores get cooked and they magnetic parameters change. This makes them unusable. Have you tried contacting kicker for a replacement?

nonprof 11th July 2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Babin (Post 2635269)
Sometimes the cores get cooked and they magnetic parameters change. This makes them unusable. Have you tried contacting kicker for a replacement?

Yeah, I tried to get the inductor value but no answer yet, last time I asked for the replacement of another inductor from separate kicker amp, they said they can't provide the replacement. SO I guess they will not provide this output inductor.

MOER 11th July 2011 04:29 AM

Kicker

60uH use a T130-2 core from Micrometals

nonprof 11th July 2011 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOER (Post 2635330)
60uH use a T130-2 core from Micrometals

Thank you MOER and to everyone who replied!!! more power to DIY'ers...

I will try to recoil and do some calculation to get the number of turns with gauge 17 magnetic wire.

nonprof 11th July 2011 05:01 AM

oppsss...its not so easy I guessed. there are a lot of parameters to consider to get the number of turns!

In other way, I still have the burnt coil, I'll measure the length then re-coil the toroid with its length.
but I did this and I failed, it creates a whinning sound. Maybe the high frequency still coming out with these filters...must increase the length of wire then see if the inductance is equal to 60uh, reduce number of turns to get the correct value.

Any advice please?

Perry Babin 11th July 2011 04:23 PM

Although whining could possibly be caused by a defective inductor, the problem could be elsewhere. A defective inductor would tend to make the amp draw excessive current, could make the output transistors run hot or could make the output filter capacitors run hot.

If the inductor failed previously, it could have caused the output filter caps to fail. Have you confirmed that they're within tolerance?

Does the amp otherwise produce clean audio?

Is the whining absolutely constant in frequency or does the frequency change (like tuning an old short wave radio)?