Rockford T10001BD blown output fet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright small update....

I cleaned the board off finally to get some corrosion off and it looks like this amp HAS been into before. One of the LM339D chips closest to the trafo has been either replaced or unsolder-ed and put back on.

Also I got brave and connected the amp up to my 3a power supply to see if it even did anything.
I connected it up then applied power to the remote lead and the traffo made a buzzing noise as voltage increased and then when it topped out at 73v the protect light came on. I only had it powered maybe 5 seconds. In that very short time the 4 remaining output fets warmed up maybe 10f. just enough to notice that they're warmer than they were. Does that say anything (besides dont power it up with half the fets removed lol)???

Also while it was "on" but in protect i could hear/was aware of an extremely high pitch noise; i guess thats the traffo? I couldn't so much hear it but i knew it was there. Kinda like an old TV when they're on they make a very high pitch noise but most people cant hear it. I can't so much hear it as i know its there kinda like a pressure in your eardrum, very hard to explain without sounding crazy lol

oh and i removed the 4 blown fets perry; i just removed the 4 good oens so there are no fets in the amp and it still goes into protect; is this normal?

the power supply did come up instantaneously to 75v w/o the wine. crazy how this amp is the first i've heard that whines like that.

oh and this guy was blown apart too. its some sorta cap; the side and bottom were blown out i guess it expanded. i dont know if this was the cause of the amp failure or an effect.

cap.jpg

there were no shorts; i tested that first thing before I removed anything.

I removed the entire card with fets on it if thats the mehsa insulator; the daughter board with the remaining good fets had an extra 3 pins that i'm assuming were for some sort of thermistor. Even with that still intact it was going into protect.

So i'm guessing from your input with all fets removed the amp should not have gone into protect?

As it sits right now all of the power supply and diodes are on their daughter boards on the amp main pcb with the main heatsync removed. All output fets and their daughter boards are removed along with that dc filter cap. amp goes into protect now but power supply comes up immidiately, it took about 1sec with the good fets and that cap installed and the good fets got warm.

Also the samples i ordered from fairchild are in; one problem tho they're to-220 case not to-3. guess i shoulda checked that :-/ think these can be used?

there are 3 LM339 the one on the right has been replaced or removed.

also what power transistor? output? there are no output transistors on the amp now.

also i'm not 100% sure it goes to protect; the protect light is VERY dimly lit; much less so than the power. also when power is removed the protect light gets brighter when voltage in the caps drop significantly.

i'm about to hook this thing up to my scope tos ee if there are any square wave forms getting to the output fets meaning its not actually in protect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.