kicker kx200.2 shorted IRFZ48V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so I have a little kicker kx200.2 that was given to me non working. Turns out one of the IRFZ48V fets were shorted internally in the power supply. There are 2 of those fets paralleled.
I removed the shorted fet and the amp works fine but i'm worried about only running it off of just one of the fets.
Looking at the data sheet it looks like the constant drain current for that fet is 50A at 10v at 100c. This amps only rated at 200w bridged and only has a 30a fuse. Should I bother replacing the fet or just run it till this one pops?

ok i was wrong; the collector (input of the fet? still new to the terminology, right most pin looking at the writing) of both of the FETs are connected to the GND terminal on the amplifier. The center pins do go to two separate windings on the Traffo. It looks like there are two primary and two secondary windings (2 sets, 4 pins of multi conductor thick wire; and two sets (4 pins) of thinner wire on the opposite side of the torrid). Its not like there is a center tap there are 2 seperate windings that the fets are connected to; different color even.

Is that correct that there are two primary windings? if so is that normal? that seems so strange to me.

Anyway thanks again for the input Perry!

Knowing this i'm for sure replacing the fets. Do I have to order the same ones? I think i have some good fets that came out of a power supply laying around somewhere, maybe IRF510 or 540 i dont recall the p/n exactly

yea its my personal amp. its in pretty bad shape and had some water damage on part of the pcb but still works.

i put the 540s in and have been running it hard for about 2hrs and the output stage is much warmer than the power supply. Now I'm powering it off a modified atx psu with about 55A at 12.10v so i know i'm not moving as many watts as this amps probably rated at 14v.

I had those 540s left over from a repair i tried on a phoenix gold XS4600; i though the output fets were blown but it was some of the small pnp/npn transistors that were bad. might as well put the 540s to use

yea it seems fine.

if i order some fets in the near future for anything i'll probably pick up the right ones just to be safe but this amps probably going to pull test bench duty so maybe not.

Next project is a rockford t1000bd that the outputs blew up on. That amps in really sad shape and probably isn't saveable plus it has those stupid surface mount daughter boards clamped to the heat sync.

But i take what i can get to practice on :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.