Rockford Fosgate Punch 800a2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

I have a Punch 800a2 I recieved in for repair. One channel was fried. I repaired the channel and everything is ok with that.

The problem is the amp does not produce full power to the speakers.

I can turn the volume to full on the head unit and it sounds like it 1/4 of the way up. The sound is clear and clean but like the head unit is on mute.

I suspect something with the cross over potentiometer, when adjusting it sometimes one channel cuts out.

The amp has no issues just has low output, other than that it sounds great.

Any ideas???

Power up one of the others. Set all gains the same, set the crossovers to full range and drive a sine wave into the good amp.

Measure the AC voltage at the back of the RCA jacks to get a reference AC voltage (confirm the signal level is the same in the defective amp) and measure the AC voltage at various points in the amp.

Compare the reference voltage to the voltage at the input to the amplifiers (capacitors that couple the op-amps to the power amp). If this is PC-2038, the positive terminals of C201 and C303 are the input to the power amp.

Compare to the other amp. If the signal level is lower at that point in the defective amp, the problem is in the preamp section. If the signal level is the same there on both amps, the problem is in the power amplifier sections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.