Should I get a pair of these little subs? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2011, 04:09 AM   #11
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
I'm currently using a pair of those (since Jan 2011) in a common chamber ported box feeding about 800watts to the pair. produces a fair amount of low end with really nice SQ easy to blend with the Focal front stage.

My Noisy Ride
Old 25th July 2011, 04:28 PM   #12
RiLoWa is offline RiLoWa  United States
diyAudio Member

If they sound like the tens, you should be very pleased with the purchase of those two subs. I think it took about month in my daily driver for it to break-in and really shine. I suppose you could shorten the break-in time by exercising them first.
Old 25th July 2011, 05:16 PM   #13
Dr Zeus is offline Dr Zeus  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds good to me. I hope they are sharp like an 8" with the bass like a 10".

Someone told me to try a hybrid box, with ~.5cu sealed for one sub, and then ~1cu ported for the second sub. They said this would fill out the frequency range from top to bottom while not compromising the effectiveness or causing any deficiency. I have the chance to do this since I am designing the box this week. Thoughts?
Old 25th July 2011, 06:04 PM   #14
RiLoWa is offline RiLoWa  United States
diyAudio Member

I probably wouldn't do that, but then I have never thought about doing it either so I can't comment on how that will work out.

For me, it seems like it would complicate the filter settings, both low pass and the subsonic. I like simple so I would choose either vented OR sealed. So if you have the means I would build one of each and decide which is best or choose the one that fits.

Of course I could have this all wrong, so I'll keep tuned to see somebody comment with experience doing exactly that setup.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:03 AM   #15
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
Mine does lows pretty good. moves a lot of air for two 8's, you could feel it from the front seats. not as much car wrecking bass as my previous DD 1508's but more controlled and doesn't stand out from the fronts so they blend in much more easily.

I wouldn't do the different box thing too unless you know exactly what you're doing or don't mind wasting time and wood incase it doesn't work as planned.
Old 1st August 2011, 03:15 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I finally got these little subs hooked up to 400w each of an old Soundstream Reference 1000sx: Soundstream reference 1000sx

These little subs sound amazing in the home-built boxs I crafted. Due to my trunk space, I had to make 2 equally sized boxes. I went with sealed boxes to keep the size small and was able to make the boxes 0.5 cubic feet each.

The sound from these subs is mellow and clean, They punch very hard and have have way more than enough low end for most needs. For the price I paid these subs sound like much better speakers. I'm surprised this line of Polk subs are so inexpensive so if anyone is looking for 8" subwoofers the Polks are just about the best SQ sub you can buy for the money. Of course the JL Audio 8w7 is better at almost 3x the price though.

Last edited by Dr Zeus; 1st August 2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12th August 2011, 08:32 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zeus View Post
I finally got these little subs hooked up to 400w each of an old Soundstream Reference 1000sx: Soundstream reference 1000sx

These little subs sound amazing in the home-built boxs I crafted. Due to my trunk space, I had to make 2 equally sized boxes. I went with sealed boxes to keep the size small and was able to make the boxes 0.5 cubic feet each.

The sound from these subs is mellow and clean, They punch very hard and have have way more than enough low end for most needs. For the price I paid these subs sound like much better speakers. I'm surprised this line of Polk subs are so inexpensive so if anyone is looking for 8" subwoofers the Polks are just about the best SQ sub you can buy for the money. Of course the JL Audio 8w7 is better at almost 3x the price though.
I was lucky enough to score a dilapidated one from someone I knew and only had to pay for repair so I got a brand new 8W7 for only $150.
Anyways, these are BIG little subs, very beefy. They hit nice and clean, very responsive. With an ample amount of power, they will hit the lows with authority too!
Old 15th August 2011, 01:35 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zeus View Post
I just bought two mm840dvc subs but have not started on the new box. its gonna take a week or so.
What will you be making the enclosure out of? If memory serves me correctly those are designed for light weight applications, i.e. marine. Will you be doing a fleese/roesin or a 1/2" box with a thin layer of roesin to seal it up? Looking forward to the results either way!
Old 15th August 2011, 05:52 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I put the boxes together about 2 weeks ago. Due to my setup, I found it easiest to make two sealed rectangular boxes out of 3/4" MDF. The boxes have an internal CU of .5, which is a tad larger than recommended but is working extremely well. The boxes are sitting inside of where the spare tire goes, and just above them is 1/2" MDF laid on top which made a great new subfloor. The woofers are allowed to extend almost 3/4" upward before touching their grill, which is flat-mounted to the top of the 1/2" MDF and strong enough to stand directly on top of the woofers. I'll take some pics if you are interested
Old 15th August 2011, 07:31 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Pics of that would be pretty cool.

Hide this!Advertise here!