Rockford Fosgate 60ix FETs blown - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2011, 08:30 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Well this is strange, the dead channel started working when I was testing it !?! All seems fine now but a resistor next to the transformer is getting quite warm - I'm wondering if this is OK?

Here's what happened:

I measured the DC on the speaker terminals and it was zero (I also measured the RCAs (for some reason) and they were 1v on the dead channel and 1.9v on the good channel).

So then I thought maybe I ought to test for DC output with an RCA signal going in, so I put some music into it from the HU rear channel and I had a speaker connected directly to the HU front channel just so I could monitor what was going in - when I plugged in the RCA this time the front speaker carried on working (previously everything went quiet - front and rear left and right).

So I connected everything up and it worked fine.

Then I disconnected and tested for DC again. Still nothing on the speaker outputs and now nothing on the RCAs either (well actually, I did just find a very slight reading like 0.05v on one side).

Then I let it run and checked to see if anything was getting warm, I didn't have time to run it for long but the transistors and their resistors all seem to be behaving themselves.

The only thing I found getting hot is a 10 ohm resistor sitting just on the output side of the power transformer (R35). In the diagram for the Punch 40 there are two of these (R35 and R36) and both are shown as 22 ohm, my 60ix just has one and it's 10 ohm.

It's not getting like really hot - I can just about stand to keep my finger on it, so I guess it's probably approaching 50 *C. I don't know whether that's normal. Maybe I should check what current the amp. is drawing at idle should I ?
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The heat from the resistor is likely OK.

~0v DC on the speaker terminals is good.
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:48 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

[Edit - thanks Perry, you posted while I was adding a post myself - I'll just use it for a while and keep an eye on it then]

In case it's of relevance or interest the place I got my parts from suggested IRFZ44VPBF as a sub for IRF44N and IRF34NPBF as a sub for BUZ11.

I got some of each and I used IRFZ44VPBFs on the power supply. The resistors are 68 ohms.

Hide this!Advertise here!