Hifonics Brutus BXi 2608D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive got this amp in for repair which I'm very close to fixing. It came in with about $50 worth of damaged parts, from a dozen IRFP064N ps fets and drivers to another dozen IRF640/9640 outputs.

Taking what I learned about a weak driver circuit from a Crunch ground pounder here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/187350-crunch-ground-pounder-gp1500d.html, I modified the PS drive circuit for use with BD139/BD140 drivers, and bridged the 500 ohm R60 and R60A. In the previous Crunch amp with similar power supply doing this increased the drive circuit of the PS. I also used 47ohm gate resistors on the IRFP064N fets (down from 100 ohms). This slight modification appears to be working just fine for now... except...

The amp powers and idles just fine (does not heat up), and will probably play audio as it has +-80 dc rail voltage. I am however affraid to keep it powered for very long because the output of the ps is running unregulated at the moment.

I temporarilly removed the R60/R60A jumper so the circuit is now back with 500ohm and the PS still operates unregulated :)

Well I'm not 100% sure, but this amp is one of the largest MaxxSonics amps I've had on my bench in awhile. Its got 12 power fets and 20 IRF640/9640 outputs so its pretty large I'd say. This one in particular also says "25th aniversary 2600 Watts Super D_Class Mono" on the case. I think I remember the crunch amp being regulated.

Rail caps are 100V 3300uF

I'm using a 10A power supply for rebuilding this amp, which natually measures 13.75v with nothing connected. Powering this amp is not a problem, and the voltage only drops to 13.6 across B+ and Ground.

My output is just fine and so are the rectifiers and caps. The only thing that failed for the second time is the fets and drivers in the power supply. The reason it failed the first time I was running an Orion HCCA 15.2 wired at 1 ohm and the battery under my hood failed. The voltage fell drastically and the amp drew too much current and the power supply fets went out. Stupid me for not having an inline fuse. I do now ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.