Alpine MRV-F300S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got this amp in for repair. I noticed some connection problems under the PCB for the RCA and fixed. Upon power applicaiton, the amp appears a slight attept at powering up but fails and powers off no more than 1/4 second later. Measuring with the scope I see the amp pulse a +10v wave at the fets. I can also observe a very brief ~+-60vDC on the center legs of the rectifiers. I'm guessing this amp is tethering in/out of protection as several pins of the TL494 pulse every ~4 seconds

i just found C205, a yellow mylar cap near some of the opamps with a bad solder joint which I just fixed. Now I cannot get channel 2 to pulse anything on the scope more than just insignificant DC. All channels have +-.2vDC of pulsing activity on them. Amp still power cycles like before.

TL494

Pin 1: 0
Pin 2: 0.882
Pin 3: 0.090
Pin 4: 4.97 (Drops to ~2.5-3v every ~4 seconds)
Pin 5: 1.684
Pin 6: 3.738
Pin 7: 0
Pin 8: 13.74
Pin 9: ~0 (Pulses to .5v)
Pin 10: ~0 (Pulses to .5v)
Pin 11: 13.74
Pin 12: 13.74
Pin 13: 5.05
Pin 14: 5.05
Pin 15: 5.05
Pin 16: 0.001

Do you see a pulse of DC on the bridging speaker terminals of any channel as the amp goes in/out of protection?

Referencing amp general ground pulse of -15vDC is on all speaker terminals. Referencing RCA shields I see no more than about -0.150vDC on speaker terminals. Referencing non-bridging speaker terminals or RCA shields I see +-20vDC on the center legs of the main rectifiers; D508 D509. Also I meant to say D508/D509 in my previous post, not Q.

Last edited:
Can you post a photo of the inside of the amp. I have no information on this amp.

In general, there is an isolation between the primary and secondary grounds. When the secondary ground is pulled away from the primary ground, the problem is often a protection circuit component. Typically it's a PNP transistor with it's emitter connected to the positive rail (or sometimes to 5v) and it's collector connected to something near the power supply IC. You may have a problem like this.

IMG_20110608_112100.jpg

IMG_20110608_112108.jpg

IMG_20110608_112116.jpg

IMG_20110608_112126.jpg

I like the "army" of opamps.

With Q512 removed the amp powers and does not draw excessivly. I notice +-26volts at the rail. Voltage is still offset referencing CT and general ground at +20vDC.

The amp is able to produce clean audio with a test speaker.

Q512 is measuring fine off the PCB.

In general, there is an isolation between the primary and secondary grounds. When the secondary ground is pulled away from the primary ground, the problem is often a protection circuit component. Typically it's a PNP transistor with it's emitter connected to the positive rail (or sometimes to 5v) and it's collector connected to something near the power supply IC. You may have a problem like this.

I found Q510 to be one of the only transistors connected directly to the positive rail, and its an A1266 -PNP. The odd thing about it is, under power all four legs measure +6vDC which is the same as positive rail voltage. removed, the rail voltage offset shifts by +6v but it not enough. The A1266 off the PCB measures just fine so I put it back on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.