Another dead Kenwood 9102D thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got this amp from a friend of mine who was the only owner, said when he took it out of his jeep a year ago it was working fine. He reinstalled it in a new jeep and couldn't get it to power up. Upon opening it up it appears that a few things got pretty toasty although none of the two fuses (30 amps each) were blown.

Picture of the 9102D IC1 (TL494) You can't even read anything on it

2011-05-28231158.jpg

Picture of a known good 8152D IC1 (also a TL494)

download4.jpg

Some more of the 9102D

2011-05-28232605.jpg

2011-05-28232549.jpg

And its 8152D brother

download3.jpg

download1.jpg

I've been following the guide from Basic Car Audio Electronics and as far as I can tell the output and power transistors are all okay, they look to be the same on both amps and all of power and output transistors respond consistently to the diode check on my DMM. Obviously the IC1 is fried on the 9102D but I'm not so sure that's the actual cause of the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated

JK e'erybody! I looked at another thread involving blown traces from having a 12 volt source touch the metal back case of the amp. There were four in total, just reheated the suckers with the iron, slapped a little extra soldier on it for good measure, and the beast fires up and hits like a champ now, thanks to Semms and Perry Babin for their other thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/126197-kenwood-kac-9102d-problems.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.