connect mp3 to the stereo directly throught the CD changer in back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to connect an mp3 connection to the car stereo through the CD changer/auxiliary port in the back without having to buy the 50$ adapter. Can I just splice into the head phone wires and wire them into the cd changer port somehow so the signal will be recieved by the stereo? Thanks much.

Thanks for the reply. The auxilliary port in the back of the factory radio is for a cd changer or other auxilliary device. Its on a 2003 honda odyssey. I've checked the pins for voltage and two are 12, one is like 4 and one is 1.5 volts. The rest do not give off volts so I can't tell what they do. Trying to find a pin diagram on the net but so far unsuccessful. I don't need to power my mp3 (although it would be nice) just send its signal through that cd changer/aux port in the back. It has like 12 pins if I remember right.

Here is a picture of the front of the radio.

Attachments

• Honda-R-1336-detailed-image.jpg
    Honda-R-1336-detailed-image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 57
What I want to know is: can you get 'AUX' to come up on the display by pushing the buttons on the front.

If you can, it's just a matter of finding out which are the AUX input pins, which can be done by powering up the radio (with speakers attached) and applying an audio signal to the pins in turn. Obviously you want to avoid the ones with power on them, but you could, for example, take a portable player, plug into the headphone out with an old cable from a pair of bust or disused headphones (most people have a disused cheap pair) and connect a capacitor to the common wire and to one of the signal wires. Pretty much any caps will do for the test, but fairly big ones but non-electrolytic are best. Now you can probe the pins with the 2 free leads on the caps without risk of damaging the player.

The sound may not be good with the caps in series but once you've found the pins you can connect without them. Using the caps may be overkill since the player probably has caps already on its output, but better safe than sorry.

If you can't get 'AUX' to come up on the display, it MIGHT work on the 'CD' setting, otherwise it's a bust.

w

Hmmm... not sure I believe that. How do you switch to CD changer from tuner mode?
My point is, there must be a button on the head unit. When the button is pressed, the head unit may look for that "handshake" signal, doesn't find it, and stays on the selected input. If there is some proprietary protocol, you're out of luck I'm afraid. Unless you can find and implement that specific hack.

Last edited:
Yes, the radio is made by Alpine. Off the top of my head, I know that if you take an older Alpine CD Changer Din Cable ( Not the newer AI Cable) apart at the harness end. Switch the red and white wires positions that are inside the cable itself, an aftermarket Alpine Changer will work. Now I believe Alpine also carries an Aux input Din Cable. With some photos and green tea we may be able to do this.
Hopes this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.