connect mp3 to the stereo directly throught the CD changer in back - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2011, 10:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default connect mp3 to the stereo directly throught the CD changer in back

I want to connect an mp3 connection to the car stereo through the CD changer/auxiliary port in the back without having to buy the 50$ adapter. Can I just splice into the head phone wires and wire them into the cd changer port somehow so the signal will be recieved by the stereo? Thanks much.
Old 26th May 2011, 01:02 AM   #2
Banned

Have you looked at the back of the head unit? You say auxiliary port. If it has an aux. input selectable from the front panel, you can wire in there from a headphone out.

w
Old 26th May 2011, 04:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. The auxilliary port in the back of the factory radio is for a cd changer or other auxilliary device. Its on a 2003 honda odyssey. I've checked the pins for voltage and two are 12, one is like 4 and one is 1.5 volts. The rest do not give off volts so I can't tell what they do. Trying to find a pin diagram on the net but so far unsuccessful. I don't need to power my mp3 (although it would be nice) just send its signal through that cd changer/aux port in the back. It has like 12 pins if I remember right.
Old 26th May 2011, 05:04 PM   #4
amc32 is offline amc32  United States
diyAudio Member

Who is the manufacture of the OEM radio you are trying to use?
Old 26th May 2011, 05:06 PM   #5
amc32 is offline amc32  United States
diyAudio Member

Please look on the radio itself, because it isn't Honda.
Old 27th May 2011, 10:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have checked and yes it is a factory stock radio (we are the original owners and never had a different radio put in) and it says honda on the front top
Old 27th May 2011, 10:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here is a picture of the front of the radio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda-R-1336-detailed-image.jpg (31.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 28th May 2011, 01:59 AM   #8
Banned

What I want to know is: can you get 'AUX' to come up on the display by pushing the buttons on the front.

If you can, it's just a matter of finding out which are the AUX input pins, which can be done by powering up the radio (with speakers attached) and applying an audio signal to the pins in turn. Obviously you want to avoid the ones with power on them, but you could, for example, take a portable player, plug into the headphone out with an old cable from a pair of bust or disused headphones (most people have a disused cheap pair) and connect a capacitor to the common wire and to one of the signal wires. Pretty much any caps will do for the test, but fairly big ones but non-electrolytic are best. Now you can probe the pins with the 2 free leads on the caps without risk of damaging the player.

The sound may not be good with the caps in series but once you've found the pins you can connect without them. Using the caps may be overkill since the player probably has caps already on its output, but better safe than sorry.

If you can't get 'AUX' to come up on the display, it MIGHT work on the 'CD' setting, otherwise it's a bust.

w
Old 28th May 2011, 03:03 AM   #9
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

may be an oem alpine
Old 31st May 2011, 08:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

no way to activate aux by pushing a button on the front panel. I read some posts elsewhere that said the cd changer sends a signal to tell the radio activate aux display.

Hide this!Advertise here!