Sony XM-2165GTX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got this amp on the bench which fails to power up properly. With the two rectifiers removed, the amp powers up well and has ~67vAC going to the rectifiers. With the rectifiers installed, this amp drags my PS down to ~9vDC. Presumably the output section has something wrong, but nothing obvious measures incorrectly on the DVM. This amp's PCB has surface mount components on the back side, and onlyhas traces on that side as well.

With the power transistors clamped to the heatsink (clamped to the small heatsinks is good enough) and a current limiter inline with the B+ line, measure the DC voltage across each of the source resistors. They are 3-legged resistors. The center leg is common for the two resistors in the ceramic package.

Do any read more than 0.000v DC?

Im back at taking a look at this amp after moving to a new house :)

One channel's source resistors are measuring 0.090~0.120vDC. The other channel is measuring 0.010~0.012vDC. The amp has RV103 and RV203 pots which I turned fully counter clockwise and that made the voltage across the ALL emitter resistors about ~0.070vDC.

I've since fixed this amp. Im fairly certain after talking with the owner that he had tampered with the bias pots while testing the amp on his own bench - Lucky he didnt blow it up. For me, I probably would have done the same but it was my power supplys which saved this amp from over-draw a death.

Setting the bias pots correctly allowed this amp to play just fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.