Rockford Fosgate BD10001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok how do I test the MIC4420CT when its out of the circuit as far as probe configuration and readings. Dont know if it could cause this but I am almost certain it is defective.

I removed the 2 fets that blew but already installed the new 15 ohm gate drivers, do I need to take them back out?

There should be no low ohm readings between any of the legs of the driver. If you have new drivers, compare the readings from those. This only works out of the circuit.

You don't need to repair the output stage at this point. Leave the driver out, clean up the pads so that there are no solder bridges and connect a resistor across the gate and source of one of the transistors driven by the missing driver and it should power up and allow you to troubleshoot the preamp problem. After you get a good signal, then you can repair the output stage.

I powered up the amp after doing what you said to do everything is idling fine.

Something I dont understand is U4's signal is greatly affected by the cross over frequency and the sub sonic switch.

None of the other op-amps signals are affected by either switch or the cross over requency.

I replaced the switches with new ones, and replaced U4.

Could U17 be causing this?

Could a bad mosfet driver (MIC4420CT) cause these symptoms?

MIC4420CT is out of the circuit now but could it have been causing the frequency buzzing and output interference? I tested it and it was defective testing it against a new one.

Removing R31 disconnected U17 from the preamp so it won't hum or stress the outputs until the resistor is reinstalled.

The noise was likely caused by the malfunctioning preamp and the distorted signal. It wasn't likely caused by anything in the power stage.

Check the signals on R20 and R22.

I get nice wave forms and perfect clipping on pins 1 and 7 of U2 and U3.

U1 and U4 confusing me, they have strange readings.

Pin 1 of U4 only deflects about a 1/2 a division above and below reference line then I see clip but it looks funny because its only a 1/2 of a division.

Pin 7 of U4 makes a nice wave form about 3 to 4 divisions then right when it clips the top deflection clips as it should and when the bottom starts to clip it jumps up between the top deflection and makes a square form completely.

All these readings are with the sub sonic off.

With the sub sonic on..............

Pin 7 of U4 does exactly the same thing.

Pin 1 of U4 just starts to make a audio wave form then clips right away, it looks like a bunch of X's and squares and does not deflect at all.

Pin 1 of U1 deflects 1 division and will not clip

Pin 7 of U1 deflects 1 division and will not clip

These readings are the same no matter what the orientation of the sub sonic switch is.

R20 and R22 are going to be really hard to explain they almost replicate pin 1 and 7 of U4.

Remove C74. Does that allow pin 1 of U4 to swing the same as pin 7?

R20 and R22 are connected to either the output of U3, P7 or U4, P7, depending on the position of the subsonic switch.

Do you have a clean signal on the center terminal of the sub sonic switch with the switch in either position?

Op-amps sometimes 'invert' when the input is driven too close to the power supply rails. This is likely what happened when you drove the op-amp to clipping. There's no need to drive it that hard.

Well to do this testing the board has to be out of the sink for the signal test on the sub sonic switch.

Q105 and Q106 fets are getting really hot!!!

Should I just remove all the fets in that half of the output stage and then do my testing?

I dont want to cause further damage. I dont know why they would be getting hot since they are disconnected from the pre-amp stage. The fets in the second half of the output stage are not getting hot.

Will the other "good" side of the output fets get hot when powering it up out of the sink?

Do I have to solder resistors across the gate to sources on the removed outputs or just one?

Just want to be sure I dont inflict anymore damage before we figure out whats wrong ya know?

1. They shouldn't. They are more likely to get hot if they're not on the MEHSA strip (didn't you say you did away with it in this amp?)?

2. That's only when the driver IC is out of the circuit.

3. If the transistors are not on the MEHSA insulators and they're easy to remove, remove them all if you want to eliminate the possibility of further damage. Be sure to clean up the solder pads so there aren't any solder bridges.

Remove C74. Does that allow pin 1 of U4 to swing the same as pin 7?

R20 and R22 are connected to either the output of U3, P7 or U4, P7, depending on the position of the subsonic switch.

Do you have a clean signal on the center terminal of the sub sonic switch with the switch in either position?

Op-amps sometimes 'invert' when the input is driven too close to the power supply rails. This is likely what happened when you drove the op-amp to clipping. There's no need to drive it that hard.

C74 made no difference.

The subsonic switch has 6 pins. I tested the midlle two. One pin has no signal either position. The outer middle pin towards the edge of the board has a good signal in one orientation and the same funny looking signal in the other position. The signal clips up top then the bottom wave form jumps on top and gives a square signal in between the wavey signal of the top wave form.

Its got to be something related to the switch or components of the switch.

I replaced the switch with a new one but I dont know???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.