Damn SPL Dynamics amp dead after shock!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, whilst out in my car today listening to some beats, my sub box fell over and landed on top of my SPL Dynamics S2000D.
When I went in the boot to investigate I found the red protection light was on. I immediately switched off the amp and back on again. The green light was coming on for a few seconds, then a click, into protection. It was like this everytime I tried.

I took the amp apart looking for any visible damage and everything looked intact except for 1 resistor which I resolderd.
Then, like an idiot I tried the amp without the mosfet clamps and ended up burning 6 fets!
Before this happened the amp did not switch on at all...

I can get replacement fets for a few £GBP each but my question is, what would most likely shut down due to the shock?

I have successfully repaired 1 other amp before (I'm a bit of a newbie to all this!)

Any advice welcome - Thanks

Hi sorry it's taken so long to reply. I was having trouble uploading pictures - which was most frustrating I might add...
Here are the pictures of how the board did look before the problem... (10MiB pictures)

671b5a5b.jpg

02c7a8b6.jpg

Excellent, thank you very much!

This is how the amplifier is at present.

a17e1ced.jpg

a057d2a9.jpg

274c002c.jpg

As you can see, due to my neglect, I need to replace 6x IRFP064N mosfets and 2 of these... Not sure of the name but, it's parts Q7 & Q8 on the top right of the PWM board...

d4bb1501.jpg

Other pictures;
35c2fbe3.jpg

2a031b9c.jpg

2b53d263.jpg

As you can see, the yellow glue at the bottom of one big cap has a crack in it. I will go further into this in a moment...
I will upload a picture of what I soldered now.

This is the area I hit with solder. I just thought it looked a little weak so went ahead and reinforced it... it's just the one spot.

cc797985.jpg

Going back to when this first happened and the amp was still in the car. I turned it upside down whilst still on (in protect mode) and when I put my hand near this area, I could feel an electrical charge. I don't know if this helps at all?

cd88d334.jpg

In my opinion you need to replace ALL 12 IRFPs064 to make a reliable power supply.
Seems the two SOT223 transistors (Q7 and Q8) on the power supply board are the drivers.

In my case, someone got me an identical amp but never came back with the parts of the money for them. So, it is left as is. It was a truly fried amp (got fire inside).
Good luck with yours!

The drivers are probably 2SB1260s. If not, the 1260 should be a good sub.

For most of these amps with the transistors that are perpendicular to the board, it's generally necessary to replace every heatsink mounted semiconductor. This applies to amps that don't have enough support for the board and the legs become weak and break off. If the legs break off of one, it's a good indicator that all (or most) will break shortly.

Thanks ultra, I can get the 12 fets and 2 transistors for about £35 (GBP). I'm just puzzled why the amplifier went into protect after the box hitting it. Is there anything on the board likely to fail with a shock?

By the marks on the casing, it would appear the box first made contact with the area I felt the electrical charge from... everything appears tight though.

Most schematic diagrams have mistakes.

Those look like the right transistors.

In some amps, a blown power supply will cause the protect LED to light up. Here it doesn't appear that the protect LED should have been lit unless there was a fault in the audio section. Check all of the output transistors.

Amps that are laid out like these tend to break the legs on the heatsink mounted components. If one leg was on the verge of breaking, getting hit with the box could have caused it to fail.

If any outputs have weak legs or are shorted, the defective one and those in parallel with it will have to be replaced.

Soldering weakened legs from the top of the board to reinforce them really isn't an option because it will make the legs stiffer and will likely prevent the transistor from laying perfectly flat against the heatsink when the clips are reinstalled.

Perry your an absolute genius!
I checked the legs carefully under an LED light and guess what!? I found that most had slight cracks in the legs, just before where they meet the board...
So, I will replace all heatsink mounted components now.
The only parts I'm struggling to find at RS Components are 4x FMU32U (D18, D19, D32 & D33).
Any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.