Damn SPL Dynamics amp dead after shock! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2011, 08:18 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

The drivers are probably 2SB1260s. If not, the 1260 should be a good sub.

For most of these amps with the transistors that are perpendicular to the board, it's generally necessary to replace every heatsink mounted semiconductor. This applies to amps that don't have enough support for the board and the legs become weak and break off. If the legs break off of one, it's a good indicator that all (or most) will break shortly.
Old 16th May 2011, 08:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks ultra, I can get the 12 fets and 2 transistors for about £35 (GBP). I'm just puzzled why the amplifier went into protect after the box hitting it. Is there anything on the board likely to fail with a shock?

By the marks on the casing, it would appear the box first made contact with the area I felt the electrical charge from... everything appears tight though.
Old 16th May 2011, 08:23 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks Perry. I'll be buying my spares from here; RS Components | Electronic and Electrical Components
I can't seen to find the 1260's though... Would you care to advise?
I'm fairly new to this hobby but am really getting in to it
Old 16th May 2011, 09:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I didn't notice that you had a schematic diagram until after I posted. Did the schematic diagram give the driver part numbers? The originals may be available.

I've never tried either of these but either should work.

DiodesZetex | Semiconductors | Discretes | General Purpose Transistor | PNP Power |ZXTP2009ZTA
http://datasheet.octopart.com/ZXTP20...eet-120630.pdf

DiodesZetex | Semiconductors | Discretes | General Purpose Transistor | PNP Power |ZXTP2014ZTA
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b80e499c9.pdf
Old 17th May 2011, 08:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that Perry!
Yes, the schematic diagram gives part numbers...

Q7 - B1260
Q8 - B1260

So, what next? Should I go ahead and replace the mosfets and transistors, then go from there?
Old 17th May 2011, 08:10 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure how the protection circuit LED is driven in this amp. Can you send me a copy of the diagram?

babin_perry@yahoo.com
Old 17th May 2011, 11:05 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Email sent!
I don't know if it has any relevance but the schematic diagram states the fets are IRF064N but the fets I pulled from the board are IRFP064N.

I was going to order 12 of these;
International Rectifier | Semiconductors | Discretes | MOSFET | MOSFETs & JFETs - N-Channel |IRFP064NPBF
Old 17th May 2011, 12:18 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Most schematic diagrams have mistakes.

Those look like the right transistors.

In some amps, a blown power supply will cause the protect LED to light up. Here it doesn't appear that the protect LED should have been lit unless there was a fault in the audio section. Check all of the output transistors.

Amps that are laid out like these tend to break the legs on the heatsink mounted components. If one leg was on the verge of breaking, getting hit with the box could have caused it to fail.

If any outputs have weak legs or are shorted, the defective one and those in parallel with it will have to be replaced.

Soldering weakened legs from the top of the board to reinforce them really isn't an option because it will make the legs stiffer and will likely prevent the transistor from laying perfectly flat against the heatsink when the clips are reinstalled.
Old 17th May 2011, 06:04 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Perry your an absolute genius!
I checked the legs carefully under an LED light and guess what!? I found that most had slight cracks in the legs, just before where they meet the board...
So, I will replace all heatsink mounted components now.
The only parts I'm struggling to find at RS Components are 4x FMU32U (D18, D19, D32 & D33).
Any ideas?
Old 17th May 2011, 06:53 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

FMU32U [FMU32U] - $5.00 : dB-r Electronics, Online Store

Hide this!Advertise here!