HELP! Car speakers pop and noises

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, im new and hope i can get some help with my car sound system here.
i have set up my system and im getting a pop from all speakers when my head unit is turned on, also i can hear noise when i skip track (screeching as HU reads disc)and there is a continuous thump thump thump thats really quiet. ive tried two head units same issue.

My equipment :
aftermarket HU. and a spare, both have front, rear and sub pre-outs.
Fli 4 channel amp, 100w rms per channel.
infinity front component speakers (woofer,tweeters and crossover)
pioneer 6x9s
4 awg/gauge power/ground wire.
rca cables

i have checked my amps ground, moved it around places and it is fine, i have run power cables and speaker wires on separate sides of my car. i have played my ipod direct from amp (HU not connected) and theres no issue, which suggests a problem with the HU however i have tried a few HU's. i can also use my ipod on HU aux which seems to help the issue (no screech from changing tracks on ipod).

one of my HU's does ground via the antenna wire and even rca cables when antenna is not connected (HU won't turn on without either antenna or rca plugged in) which is strange! However my new sony HU Does Not have this issue and the noise i get is still there but alot quieter. ive tried grounding the HU's but cant stop the problem. i get the pop when i turn on my HU even when the rca is unplugged from the amp. i also have HU balance control issues on both HU's if i turn balance to the left the right speaker Still plays!? although balance to the right and the left stops which is correct. ive tried new rca cables aswell. The music sounds fine once playing on my sony head unit but i want my balance controls and my spare head unit (that has grounding issues) i get ignition noises and revs while music is playing. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP! ive tried everything i can think of and everything i could find on google.
to summarise:
head unit turn on = pop noise from all speakers
while amp and head unit are on i get very quiet thump pulses through speakers
cd noises through speakers but not from ipod

thanks in advance to anyone who can help me any advice or ideas would be appreciated.
thanks, tom

Hi perry, i have tried grounding my head units with the ground out cable but not from the case itself so will give it a go. Can i try the rca sheild repair without soldering and tie a wire round? Could it be the amps rca sheild? Have u got any advice on my Head units balance issues? I have my crossovers near my dashboard maybe they are picking up interferance, gonna have a play with it all tomorrow. Sorry for all the questions mate,
thanks

To troubleshoot the balance problem, I'd suggest connecting a single speaker to one channel of the amp with a short piece of speaker wire (no wiring hidden or going through OEM wiring). Disconnect all other speaker wires from the amplifier's speaker terminals. Plug one RCA (left or right) in at a time to the channel with the speaker on it. Does the signal drop out when you balance away from the RCA being used? Try it with all of the RCAs (except the sub output RCAs).

I had a play with my system today and have grounded my head units outer case with a short wire to the inside of the dashboard and now the cd noises and screeching are not playing through my speakers :) . Thanks Perry for that advice.
i have found out when i turn my HU on there is only speaker pop if the amp remote lead is connected, therefore the amp must be causing the pop when powered on. any suggestions why this is? what could fix it?
my head units balance issue seems to be fixed now that the HU is grounded, im guessing the head unit was grounding through the rca slightly causing some kind of interferance on the balance signals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.