Rockford Fosgate Punch 200IX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Clamp the transistors back down to the heatsink and drive a sine wave into a load. Does it produce a clean sine wave up to clipping and clip symmetrically top and bottom?

If so, reinstall Q226 and Q230, one at a time (preferably with new transistors if you have them). After installing one, do the same test as above. If it's still clean, install the other one and test again.

Clamp the transistors back down to the heatsink and drive a sine wave into a load. Does it produce a clean sine wave up to clipping and clip symmetrically top and bottom?

If so, reinstall Q226 and Q230, one at a time (preferably with new transistors if you have them). After installing one, do the same test as above. If it's still clean, install the other one and test again.

It was clean and symmetrical without Q226 and Q230 installed, and it was clean and symmetrical with one at a time installed and both installed.

Still dont understand how that channel can perform good on the scope seeing how Q245 Q244 and Q242 have no rail voltage and have +37 vdc on the drains, but there is no DC on the bridging terminal of that channel.

Thoughts???

This amp doesn't use complementary output. I think it's called a quasi-complementary output stage. MTX has used a similar output stage extensively. Look at the schematic diagram to see how the outputs are connected.

Did you get the 100 series channel working?

No the 100 series channel still does not work.

It no longer has DC on the bridging terminal at idle but the dc slowly increases with the volume.

It is still distorted badly, and when viewed on the scope the channel only deflects below the baseline and clips only below the baseline.

Another wierd thing is when the rca plugs are hooked up and the volume down the amp is quiet and idles fine. When you fire up the amp without the rca plugs hooked up the amp is very noisy inside hissing and squeeling, and makes tons of wierd noises through the speakers.

This is what it looks like at clipping, nothing above the baseline and not symmetrical above and below.

Attachments

• 200ix distorted waveform 001.jpg
    200ix distorted waveform 001.jpg
    786.3 KB · Views: 53
If you haven't checked Q118, Q119 and R140, do so now.

Confirm that you read ~33 ohms between the emitters of Q118 and Q119.

What is the DC voltage on the collector of Q118?

OK DC voltage on collector of Q118 is 74.6 vdc.

I read 33 ohms between collectors of Q118 and Q119 because earlier I replaced R140 and R170 because they were both way out of tolerance.

With Q126 and Q130 removed the DC is gone totally and does not increase with volume. It also produces clean audio.

If I reinstall Q126 and Q130 the audio becomes very distorted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.