How much do power supplies cost?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you really want to test them and put a load on them you need something in the 50-80 amp range. You could pick up a Pyramid power supply like a PS-52KX which is 46 amp constant, 52 amp surge, 1000 watt, adjustable from 12-15 volts. They are on ebay for cheap. I think I saw that one for 169.00 I am looking into an 80 amp but they are considerably more. Go to ebay and type in Pyramid power supply. I have had mine for 5 years now and ran it very hard, and never had an issue.

Yeah browse around ebay, sometimes deals pop up on some decent ones.

I have been using a (CAE) Cascade Audio Engineering APS-45, 45 amp power supply & it has worked great for the last few years, not as big as I would like, but works great for basic testing. You can also parallel several of the same models for even higher current, but they make I think 90 or 100 amp model as well (kinda pricy though). I paid around 100 bucks on ebay for my APS-45, fair price I think for the current. I seen an APS-55 sell for about the same price I paid for the 45! They seem like pretty solid supplies to me. So be patient & keep your eye out.

I also have an old Pyramid PS-20 I use occasionally for light testing & for head units / other radios & stuff. I got the Pyramid for about $20 shipped non working on ebay, it needed the regulator replaced & a zener diode, which was a simple repair & cheap. I’ve had to do other repairs to it over the last couple years, but still got my monies worth & the old linear style supplies are real easy to troubleshoot.

Bunch of brands out there to check out:

Astron
Pyramid
Samlex
CAE
I think even Pyle makes them; I think there the same as the pyramids.
Various others as well.

I would definitely recommend getting as big of a power supply as you can.

Hey Chipper this one works everyday for me and has for the last 8 years or so without fail. I got mine used for about $60.00, and I have public domain documents on these if you get one, Yes I have the schematic and they are openly available on the web at several sites. My used one needed a couple new caps and the pins of the outputs soldered to the sockets and it's on everyday 7 days a week, and has been for many years like this.

Astron 20 Amp Variable DC Regulated Power Supply VS-20M | eBay

I have larger supplies for power testing but your not going to need anything larger then this to do most all of your basic tech bench work with. It has both voltage and current control which allows you to be safe while testing those PITA projects, plus it will knuckle over at around 18 amps or so and the output voltage will drop to about 1/4 of a volt if you short anything out while your working. This prevents smoke and fire damage...;)

A lot of Ham radio operators swear by this brand with some simple mods they become almost bullet-proof, while remaining extremely simple to take care of. They are 723 regulator based very old school linear power supplies. Even a novice can take care of one of these due to their very old design. No worries about understanding switching technology and what not for these old brutes...lol.. And they have not changed in the last twenty years they have been sold so they must have done something right, you know...C

Wow great info! I'm watching a few power supplies on the bay atm. Just looking for something to test out projects with and amp repairs. I had a 10 amp astron power supply but moisture got in it and it stopped working i have been using a battery charger lol so now i i'm looking for something smaller. But i'm keeping a look out for something cheap. Thanks again fellas!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.