Mtx 421d Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again! I have a Mtx 421d that powers up and seemed to operate normally at idle.

When testing the amp using a dummy load and a 60hz 4Vpp sine wave I see the power led begin to flicker. This also happens when the amp is connected to a headunit.

When I scope the power supply fets (75339's) I begin to see oscillation in the waveforms when gain is anywhere above min and oscillations increase as gain increases. Also on pin 8 of the 494 I see what appears to be a normal waveform (per my bcae repair dvd ) but again when the gain is set at a higher than min level... oscillation occurs. I have checked my shield grounds and they are proper.

Any input on this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I was playing with this amp further and as I increase gain to about 3/4 the led flickers rapidly and I hear a ticking...similar to an arcing sound. I have wiggled the transformers but I cannot seem to locate the sound. May be normal.

This is what the output looks like

Also when all of this occurs the ammeter on my power supply surges from 20A to 40+. I also had D3 near U4 (input opamp) smoke. Maybe I am getting closer to the issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.