Rokford fosgate Amp repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone ever seen aluminum used as solder on the board traces of a Rockford amp? I've removed the bad transistor banks, but cannot remove the aluminum. It's all gobbed up and I've used a 60w soldering iron and a SMD hot-air rework station. All the solder has been removed via vacuum or copper braid. I'm at my wits end with this thing....
Any help would be appreciated...

Way for me start out on a forum.. It was 500 F...

I'll try this again.

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    975.7 KB · Views: 77
Are you sure this is a rockford fosgate amp? They normally dont use solder traces on their boards, unless this is a type rf or something? I dont think it looks like aluminum, you may need a hotter iron for that thick of material. I would try something in the 85 watt range. Make sure your tip is cleaned and tinned. If you have a small butane torch you could carefully assist your iron in heating this glob of solder. Careful though if you get the traces to hot you could damage components inline with the traces.

Besides type RF the only other blue boards rockford used were specifically manufacture for audio express, but they were late models with MESHA boards. This almost looks like a type RF amp. Can you post a pic of the board?

Yeah prime amps are the cheapo line, cheaper to replace than repair. You will definantely need a butane torch if your gonna be working on Rockford amps to de-solder and re-solder the fets on and off of the MESHA board. I just use an 85 watt iron from radio shack. Its small, very hot and adjustable from 35 watts to 85 watts. They run around $20 and I go through about 3 a year, because they are on all the time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.